• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Offal again

chilerelleno

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
I'm all for the offal.
Sure as hell take the livers-n-hearts, but I'll pass on the gizzards.

I look forward to the finish of these tomorrow, watching for the finale.

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
Waiting to see if it will make the gizzards tender

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Liver in Pate. Gizzards, simmered then Breaded and Fried and my fav, Hearts Sauteed with Garlic and FreshThyme , with a hint of pink in the center!...JJ

Sowsage

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 18, 2017
Man i bet those will be great grilled with bbq! Ive never had them like that only fried.

chilerelleno

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
I've done chicken offal ala sous vide several times and settled on 165 at 18 to 20 hrs as the magic time/temp. No need to even cut the white out of the gizzards they are tender. Hearts and livers are creamy smooth in texture and gizzards are like fillet mignon.

Chile, I prefer the hearts (little nuggets from the Gods) but don't discount the gizzards. Done right they are better than high end steak.
I've had good and bad gizzards, more bad or mediocre than good.
I just generally pass on them anymore.
But I'd probably have to try them prepared sous vide as you do.

Fueling Around

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
Chicken (and all poultry) liver is my kryptonite.
Hearts and gizzards is good when braised out until tender.
Never tried sous vide. May have to break down and get a unit.

My all time favorite turkey gizzard is pickled. Got a lot of them around when you live in one of the top turkey producer states in the country.
Best washed down with barley pop of your choosing. Haven't found a cocktail to pair and not a wine drinker.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Wish I had access to a truckload of turkey gizzards... I throw the offal in the oven/smoker when doing turkey.. they are the cooks snack.... along with the Pope's nose and neck...

schlotz

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 13, 2015
Ah chicken offal - we always make Pâté out of the livers. This stuff disappears in a hurry around here.

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Wish I had access to a truckload of turkey gizzards... I throw the offal in the oven/smoker when doing turkey.. they are the cooks snack.... along with the Pope's nose and neck...
That's funny. My Mom would eat the Neck until I walked in the kitchen and asked what she was doing. One bite and I was hooked. 50 years later, I'm still knowing at necks and a crispy brown, fatty Pope's Nose is pure Heaven...JJ

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Nice! What is the rest of the family getting to eat?...JJ

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Now that is a nice plate of food. I'd be going back for more Greens! They look great...JJ

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks