Octagon Offset Build (24" x 48")

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I probably did not need the gaskets but I just wanted them on the doors. The doors fit together nice and tight all the way around.

Awesome build sorry i just seen this. Oh to be a welder. Nice build and great ideas.

Warren
Thanks Warren!

Well...to be honest I am not too much of a Welder myself...my dad was a HUGE help in that department, but this was fully my design / concept and I did everything else (cutting grinding design, least waste layout with materials etc) and some of the welding. By profession I am an Engineer though (Chemical to be exact, current role here at work is Principal Process Engineer). My father owns a construction company, and I worked for him all through school.

Exactly what I want to do but reverse flow. Very nice and clean build. How did you come up with the calculation for size of the fire box vs chamber and size of exhaust vs intake?

Reactions: SNeal5966
Exactly what I want to do but reverse flow. Very nice and clean build. How did you come up with the calculation for size of the fire box vs chamber and size of exhaust vs intake?
Sorry, I have been away for a little while. I used this really easy to follow along with tool, free to use, website based...most on here I think are familiar with this...

http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html

Check that out, all the info you'll need is there.

Hello All....

I have started a new project, building a new offset smoker for myself, using 1/4" thick plate. Here is where I am at so far....body is fully welded together, no end plates yet, door is cut and is partially fabbed. Firebox is welded up ready to attach, no grating fabbed or installed yet, no frame for it either. This thing is going to be on 10" swivel casters with 4" wide pneumatic style wheels (flat free) so that navigating around the yard won't be too bad. I made the panels 10" which makes the internal width 24". I did make the 2 vertical panels 12" though to give me some more spacing between my grates. The firebox is 24" cube. The exhaust will be 6" cube. The inlet to the firebox, 2 - 6" holes, will have slider vent covers on them. I wanted the ability to have a lot of air flow for higher temps when I want to.

View attachment 377427
View attachment 377431 View attachment 377432
View attachment 377433
I like the unique shape.

Thanks guys! Hawging It Hawging It and sunman76

I have cooked on it twice now, and of course did the proper seasoning for 6 hrs or so before hand. Now that I have learned this smoker I am going to put up some cooking picks on my next smoke, possibly some video maybe even upload to YouTube....what do you guys think?

This is an awesome build. I cannot wait to have one like this, maybe once I pick up some more rank lol. Congrats, again looks great.

Thanks guys! Hawging It Hawging It and sunman76

I have cooked on it twice now, and of course did the proper seasoning for 6 hrs or so before hand. Now that I have learned this smoker I am going to put up some cooking picks on my next smoke, possibly some video maybe even upload to YouTube....what do you guys think?
Go for it. When you figure out how to upload to YouTube let me know. I would like to upload some of my stuff as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky