Oakridge BBQ Quitting Business!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

3montes

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 26, 2007
Beautifull shores of Lake Superior
This is a terrible shame. Mike sent out a email yesterday notifying his customers he is closing shop on 12/31 this year or when his inventory runs out. Mike cited reasons as the terrible economy and product sourcing which is only part of and masking a problem that started about a year ago. About a year ago Mike posted a You Tube video for the purpose of responding to some hate mail he had been receiving. In it he described what the emails were referencing. I'm not going to post the video you can find it easy enough on your own if you are so inclined. A large part of the reason Mike is having to close down has to do with his last name.

Mike is one of the nicest and most generous guys in the BBQ business as most are including Jeff here. Unfortunately this is how our society is functioning these days and it can happen to any small business. This is just shameful and the BBQ community is taking a big loss with this. Mike will land on his feet as he is a smart guy. I hope we see his return to the wonderful world of BBQ in some capacity in the near future. If anyone here uses his rubs you best go stock up now.

• Sad
Reactions: fxsales1959
That shouldn't happen to anyone, regardless of their name or nationality.
I have a good friend whose Banh Mi restaurant nearly closed because of the anti-Asian backlash a couple of years ago. It got to the point of brazen theft and physical threats. Unacceptable in this country!

Reactions: 3montes and chopsaw
We don't allow politics on this forum and I have to live by that same rule but I will say this and leave it at that..

If you would diss someone just because you don't like their last name, you are the worst kind of human.

This is definitely a crying shame.. I haven' tried his products but I'm not sure why not.

I am very familiar with the Kearney, MO area as that is my wife's stomping grounds. Lots of family and family reunions there over the years.

Sounds like I might have to go put in an order.

I do believe I'll place an order as well! Hard for me to hold my tongue with this kind of BS! They are probably vegetarian...that's why they act that way.
F them!

Ryan

What a bummer. I got the email yesterday and placed an order to get me a year down the road.

I appreciate Jeff letting this thread continue and for those who have responded from keeping it overtly political even though it's a overtly political subject. From reading the reactions across the internet on various forums Mike is getting much support emotionally and now financially through his web site being crashed with orders. I can't help but feel if this kind of support would have made the difference a year ago.

Now that this toxic bias has hit the BBQ community directly I hope as a community we can prevent this from happening to one of our own again. A good man with a family lost a lively hood because some people didn't like his last name and big tech agreed. This needs to stop.

Wow! I was not aware of this story. I'm saddened, and speechless.

I watched the video about the hate mail, and I wouldn't have let three complaints bother me. Sucks the economy is running him out of business.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky