• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Nutrea meat summer sausage /w jalapeno and cheese

bobdog46

Meat Mopper
Joined Sep 11, 2010
I started w/ 4 lbs of nutrea meat & 2 lbs of pork. I used Hi Mountain summer sausage seasoning & cure then added cubed cheddar cheese , jalapenos , and cracked red pepper.  Will post photos of product after cooking. 

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Good start !

We'll be here!

Bear

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Looks pretty much like the Muskrats I used to catch, when I was a kid----Never ate any though.

Bear

chef willie

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Dec 31, 2010
Hmmm, will be interested to see how this turns out. Have you eaten Nutria before? They really thrive up here in Oregon and are a nasty rodent.....like Bear, I've never heard of anybody eating them.....be careful of parasites

killnsmoke

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 20, 2010
there was a guy on an episode of bizarre foods that ate them.....andrew said they were tasty!!  i think it is awesome!!!

bobdog46

Meat Mopper
Joined Sep 11, 2010
I didn't realize these animals were in the northwest - I thought they lived only in the marshes of the south. Anyway, here in Louisiana there are actually some eating establishments that serve this meat. I have been making a variety of deer sausages and thought I would give this nutrea a try. I will post pics of the sausage when i pull it out of the smoker. 

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Don't seem to be much different than our PA Muskrats:

Bear

beer-b-q

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined May 1, 2007
SS looks good...

As for the Nutria,  Looks a lot like a smaller version of the Sewer Rats here in Kansas City...LOL

les3176

Master of the Pit
Joined Feb 10, 2009
Man i hate muskrats they destroy your pond banks!!! Eat them all!!!!

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
SS looks good...

As for the Nutria,  Looks a lot like a smaller version of the Sewer Rats here in Kansas City...LOL

Smaller than the rats!?!?!    

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Man i hate muskrats they destroy your pond banks!!! Eat them all!!!!
Back in the 70s, I liked Muskrats. I had 4 ponds & a creek on my property, and the Muskrats were bringing $7.50 each (adults only---NO kits). You didn't even have to skin them.

The one year I caught 140+.

roller

Smoking Guru
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 10, 2010
Man don`t you guys know by now that us folks in Louisiana will eat anything....One thing about it ...we ant gona starve....Ha Ha  Ha...

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....they look like tiny canadian beavers!
Our PA Beavers have big wide tails, but our Muskrats don't.

I used to have a bumper sticker that said, "I Ate Beaver at Tombstone Inn".

Bear

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.