Nutrea meat summer sausage /w jalapeno and cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bobdog46

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
Ponchatoula Louisiana
e493e2dc_Photo04071639.jpg
c97489b6_Photo04071834.jpg
71388ca9_Photo04071918.jpg
173bc863_Photo04072003.jpg
fa89d963_Photo04072022.jpg

I started w/ 4 lbs of nutrea meat & 2 lbs of pork. I used Hi Mountain summer sausage seasoning & cure then added cubed cheddar cheese , jalapenos , and cracked red pepper.  Will post photos of product after cooking. 

Looks pretty much like the Muskrats I used to catch, when I was a kid----Never ate any though.

Bear

Hmmm, will be interested to see how this turns out. Have you eaten Nutria before? They really thrive up here in Oregon and are a nasty rodent.....like Bear, I've never heard of anybody eating them.....be careful of parasites

I didn't realize these animals were in the northwest - I thought they lived only in the marshes of the south. Anyway, here in Louisiana there are actually some eating establishments that serve this meat. I have been making a variety of deer sausages and thought I would give this nutrea a try. I will post pics of the sausage when i pull it out of the smoker. 

SS looks good...

As for the Nutria,  Looks a lot like a smaller version of the Sewer Rats here in Kansas City...LOL

Man i hate muskrats they destroy your pond banks!!! Eat them all!!!!
Back in the 70s, I liked Muskrats. I had 4 ponds & a creek on my property, and the Muskrats were bringing $7.50 each (adults only---NO kits). You didn't even have to skin them.

The one year I caught 140+.

Man don`t you guys know by now that us folks in Louisiana will eat anything....One thing about it ...we ant gona starve....Ha Ha  Ha...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky