Nothing special ribs...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Pulled some ribs out today to smoke. After the rain cleared out around 11am, the sun broke out and it's a nice day outside waiting for relatives to arrive...

Cleaned out the CI pan of ash (I always save the charcoal that forms to use in the next smoke. It heats up fast and throws off immediate TBS while waiting for the wood to catch.)
IMG_20181120_113141.jpg

While the smokehouse came up to temp, I pulled the thawed ribs out of the soaking water, opened the packages then applied the salt and rub. I am leaving the membrane on for juicier ribs A.K.A, the Al Method. I'll hit them with a torch when I pull 'em to crisp up and pop the membrane...
IMG_20181120_114944.jpg

One of the racks had a nice chunk of loin meat hanging off so I cut it then toothpicked it to the end of the rack. That will be the cook's taster cut.
IMG_20181120_115002.jpg

I put the racks on at noon... TBS rolling out the vents. Using pecan and oak because I have it on hand. They have been on for 3 hours...about the check them for doneness...

Funny... All the turkey talk has got me craving for ribs for some reason. JEALOUS! From the sound of it you never ran oak before but it is my go to for pork.

Oh-I've used plenty of oak for pork. And I like it a lot...but I also like to switch it up. I'm always tinkering with recipes and woods....

Boy do ribs sound good right about now. To bad it's only 25* here and it's been snowing all day long.

Chris

Thanks gmc....it is 63* and sunny here today. Slight north breeze with the front that pushed through. Ribs should be done in about 45 minutes...

Jealous is my middle name right now.

Chris

Pulled them off @3:52pm; almost 4 hours and they were perfect.
IMG_20181120_155652.jpg

Then I lit the rosebud torch to crisp up the membrane...No need to pull the trigger too hard, it does not take much to crisp the skin. Keep the torch moving fast and don't stop in one spot for too long or the membrane will pull back like a rubberband ( see rack on the right below)
IMG_20181120_160036.jpg

It will not affect the flavor, just looks. But you can't see it anyways once you flip them back over...;)

You can crisp up the top side as well and most times I do. It helps to caramelize the sugar in the rub and gives a GREAT color!

IMG_20181120_160157.jpg

Look at how juicy these babies turned out!!
IMG_20181120_161352.jpg

And who says you can't have a great smoke ring with propane??
IMG_20181120_160334.jpg

Look at that pink! (Not that it affects the flavor in anyway mind you...)

But, I must confess, I actually cook with wood logs or chunks with a small fire. I use the propane to moderate and even out the heat. The BEST of both worlds IMO!!!

Ribs are good. I could not stop with a sample of the small loin chunk...I mean, really...it's loin meat right! I had to cut one to show you guys the smoke ring...so yep, I ate that one. Then another, then another...Oh crap, I better save some for the guests!!! LOL!!!
In a cambro they sit....until family arrives....

I never wrap my ribs. 245* smokehouse temp. is the magic number.
These were baby back ribs. I prefer St. Louis cut, but family guests requested baby backs. Everyone knows baby backs can run dry though right? Not if you leave the membrane on Like Al preaches. 245* and no wrap...yep still tender and juicy as ever!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky