Note to self....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mowin

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 30, 2015
upstate ny
Don't forget to close all dampers, chimney, drain valve ECT.

Left my draft dampers open on my stick burner after it's last cook few weeks ago.

Opened it up today to get some smoke therapy, and there had to be a couple hundred acorns stored in there.

Definitely ticked off some critter today.

Think about screening the openings... A smoker that is closed up tight, might grow a lot of mold... Mine does.. I leave all the vents wide open now and the mold is minimal.. I also crank the heat up, to burn off everything, when I'm done smoking stuff..

One frosty morning I was visiting somewhere and I checked out a big old gas grill. Inside was a wasp nest the size of a watermelon. I closed the lid.

Yup---I close anything big enough for a mouse to get through, and a put screen over my top vent for bugs.

However the mice have been storing sunflower seeds (from my bird feeders) in the grease drawer at the bottom of my MES 40 BT.

I also had mice in my Honda Generator (20' from my Smoker). So I put a box of mouse poison near the Honda.
So now they're carrying the poison pellets from the Generator to my MES 40, and storing them in the bottom grease drawer. Imagine that---Storing Poison for the Winter!!!

Bear

Think about screening the openings... A smoker that is closed up tight, might grow a lot of mold... Mine does.. I leave all the vents wide open now and the mold is minimal.. I also crank the heat up, to burn off everything, when I'm done smoking stuff..

I line my RF plate with foil, and after the cook I crank up the heat to about 300 and scrape the grates good.

On a really greasy cook I'll spray the inside with a little water to create some steam.

Screening the draft vents is a good idea, as I'm sure I'll forget to close them again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky