Not sure where to put this cast iron volume question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
Hey All,

I was gonna do some of my home-made baked beans in my 12" lodge under my ribs this SB. I usually do em in the 6-quart crock pot and it's pretty full. I am wondering if my skillets gonna be to small.

I use
2 28 oz cans of pintos drained
cup of packed brown sugar
cup of bbq sauce
cup of various secret rubs and spices
2-3 jalapenos
1-2 bell peppers
1 lb of bacon
1 lb of quartered lil smokies
1small can of tomatoe paste

Skillets 2 quarts I think lol might be cutting it close volume wise. Thoughts? I have a silver stove pot I could take the plastic handles off I guess If I had to.

yeah I am gonna look at pulling the two handles off my stove pot it's a 5 quart. I see people making baked beans under stuff all the time in skillets. must be some pretty small servings lol

Reactions: JLeonard
I'm trying to visualize using a 5qt pot when a 6qt pot is pretty full... And what I'm seeing is a mess...

What's wrong with the aluminum pan ideas above ??

My idea of a pretty full 6 quart is like halfway so... If u do a conversion on 56 oz of beans to quarts it 1.75. the bacon and veggies are cooked down and I don't add any real fluids besides a small can of paste.
but I am probably still goin with the pot. i don't like using foil for pans for heavy stuff like that just a preference but I might see what the store has price wise. We're not all rich lol

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
If u do a conversion on 56 oz of beans to quarts it 1.75. the bacon and veggies are cooked down and I don't add any real fluids besides a small can of paste.
but I am probably still goin with the pot. …
Good plan going with pot … the bbq sauce and paste another ~1/2 qt, and even cooked down the meats and veggies still add more volume.
But if set on the skillet Could put it on a sheet pan to catch the mess, Or just scale down the recipe or whatever fits fits …

• Love
Reactions: negolien
Thanks for all the replies sorry if I seem snarky sometimes lol. I think I am just gonna cook em in the crock pot like last time. Less drama to deal with and they were pretty good so why mess up a good thing. I'll have to look at the big foil pans like jck suggested though. I would like to try em like that in the future though does the drippings and smoke really make a difference? Gonna put some queso sans meat in there instead.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky