Not my own Q, but darned good!!!

Discussion in 'Pork' started by radio, Jan 12, 2018.

1. radio

radio Smoking Fanatic

I'e been craving ribs since getting out of the hospital, but just haven't felt up to smoking any. Today while in Branson, I stopped by Big D's BBQ and picked up two racks for dinner. @Dana P does Q Texas style just the way I like without sauce mopped on it! He makes killer smoked Mac and cheese on Fridays, but I forgot about it so had to make a pan of baked cheesy goodness to go with the ribs 20180112_171642.jpg

Rings Я Us likes this.
  2. motocrash

motocrash Master of the Pit

Looks like Virginia style to me :D
    Either way,I wouldn't be passing that place very often!

3. radio

radio Smoking Fanatic

His Brisket has nothing but salt and pepper on it and is among the best I've ever had. He has Old Hickory propane smokers in the food truck and seasons with sawn Pecan so there is no bark.
    Anyone ever notice that when you smoke your own meats, it takes a heck of a Pit Master to meet your expectations?

4. motocrash

motocrash Master of the Pit

Absolutely! Most people on this forum would be hard to please at a Q place.Only the good Q shines through.;)

5. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Glad you are back on your feet . I was taught sauce optional .

6. crazzycajun

crazzycajun Meat Mopper

Sauce only needed if screw them up or for weird folks

7. Rings Я Us

Rings Я Us Smoking Guru Group Lead SMF Premier Member

We have a football running back star from the Detroit lions past.. Billy Sims, # 20 , before Barry Sanders. He has 2 BBQ joints by me that are supposed to be good. I need to try his Q one-day.

8. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Those are some good looking ribs!
    Al

9. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Radio good to hear that you are out,hope you are felling better
    Richie
    I think I would eat them ribs

10. radio

radio Smoking Fanatic

There is a Billy Sim's BBQ joint in Springfield, MO and I have eaten there one time. I swear they must use one of those pressure "smokers" and infuse some smoke flavor to the meat. It was mushy and not very big portions. We also have a Famous Dave's which I did not even manage more than a few bites. Good selection of sauces, but the BBQ sucked big time!
    Big D's is the only place I have been back to multiple times. His ribs are better than what I can cook in the stick burner and really makes me want a propane smoker or pellet grill

11. smokeamotive

smokeamotive Smoking Fanatic

Being in the BBQ capital of the world mediocre BBQ joints don't last long. Too many places to go that have good Q. That is outside of home brewed Q.

12. radio

radio Smoking Fanatic

I have not been to K.C since I was a teen and never had BBQ there. If it's mopped with sauce while smoking, or slathered in it before serving, I don't care for it and too many places do it that way. Heck, I don't even use a steak sauce unless the steak is inedible otherwise, even then it should be sent back and not doctored up.
    Salt and pepper on beef and dry rub on pork is just the way I like things.