non-sugar sweetener in their rubs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I would use Sucralose, sold under the trade name Splenda. It is heat stable and if you purchase the "splenda for baking" in a bag it meaures one for one with sugar on a VOLUME basis, (it is sucrlose and a maltodextrin mixuture). Acesulfame-K is also another choice due to its heat stability but bakers that use sugar substitutes like splenda. Aspartame (equal, nutrasweet) is not heat stable and I do not believe Saccharin (sweet n low) is heat stable or it is not as stable as Sucralose.

The Sucralose will brown and act more like sugar than the others

I second the use of Splenda (for baking type).  I've used it in several of my rubs as well as some sauces.  It really shows it's adaptability when I use it in my Carolina Style Mustard.  There are several members of my nuclear family who must WATCH the sugar and this substitute works great.  I use it one for one.  Also, Splenda makes a brown sugar sub, but it's a blend of real and substitute but still an improvement over regular.  My annual A1C (a sugar level measurement taken as part of a physical) certainly has improved since converting.

I've used baking splenda. And it works great

Thanks for the input. I've been eyeballen the Splenda, but choking on the price. I may just have to bite the bullet and try it.

Thanks for the input. I've been eyeballen the Splenda, but choking on the price. I may just have to bite the bullet and try it.
I know Costco carries it in the large size.  I can't speak to the other big box stores.  Yes, it's expensive.  That's why I don't use it in everyday cooking but rather in my Qing, morning coffee and afternoon tea.  I've noticed that when I started thinking about the items to use the substitute in, just how much sugar was being unnecessarily added.  It's like the pickled egg thread posted elsewhere.  Where it calls for sugar, I'll use splenda and perhaps reduce the amount not only to cut back on the amount of splenda used (a savings) but to help cut down on the "sweet tooth".  It's not that I'm a fanatic about it, it's because my Doctor is, and she can been very direct about it.  I think she use to be a drill sgt in a former life.
PDT_Armataz_01_17.gif

icon_cool.gif

Now I too have used Splenda and I really can't tell the difference either.

I know Costco carries it in the large size.  I can't speak to the other big box stores.  Yes, it's expensive.  That's why I don't use it in everyday cooking but rather in my Qing, morning coffee and afternoon tea.  I've noticed that when I started thinking about the items to use the substitute in, just how much sugar was being unnecessarily added.  It's like the pickled egg thread posted elsewhere.  Where it calls for sugar, I'll use splenda and perhaps reduce the amount not only to cut back on the amount of splenda used (a savings) but to help cut down on the "sweet tooth".  It's not that I'm a fanatic about it, it's because my Doctor is, and she can been very direct about it.  I think she use to be a drill sgt in a former life.
PDT_Armataz_01_17.gif
Till I saw you're from Washington I thought maybe we had the same Doctor. She won't let me eat pork either! If I didn't think she had my best interest im mind we'd have more words than we already do.

As a type II diabetic, I use Splenda[emoji]174[/emoji] in everything, inlcuding Diet Rite Zero[emoji]174[/emoji] soda which is made with it. My A1C is 475 -550 consistently every 3 months, too. 

Pork?  Now them's fighting words.......  I don't mean to pry but was there a specific reason or just something in your dietary needs that prohibit Pork?

Pops6927,  those are numbers to live by
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
  I'm still working on getting them down there.
Till I saw you're from Washington I thought maybe we had the same Doctor. She won't let me eat pork either! If I didn't think she had my best interest im mind we'd have more words than we already do.

I was recently test and found I have some minor food allergies.

In addition she says I am having difficulty digesting meat in general and that pork is more difficult to digest than beef or poultry, and since I am unable to do most things in moderation when I “sneak a little pork” my triglycerides and uric acid seems to spike.

Most of the time I’m a good boy, but then there are time I just can’t help myself.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky