No Steelhead This Year!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
With this pandemic and my fishing buddy battling rheumatoid arthritis, I was unable to fish for our Lake Erie steelhead this year--just wouldn't have been any fun without him.

Since today was forecast to be a cool day in Pittsburgh, I decided to smoke some Lake Sam's Club salmon.

Out of the dry brine after 24 hours.
Thanks to daveomak daveomak for helping me with these proportions.
Dry cure per pound of fish:
29.3 grams of dark brown sugar
9.6 grams of kosher salt
.46 grams of black pepper
.92 grams of granulated garlic
1.5 grams of Cure #1

IMG_0607.jpg

Rinsed, dried, and racked for two hours to form the pellicle. I used a computer fan to help things along.

IMG_0609.jpg

Check out the finished product. Pretty nice pellicle, huh?

IMG_0610.jpg

Into the Woodwind @ 160˚ for the first hour, then I increased the temperature 50˚ every 30 minutes until the internal temperature reached 145˚.

IMG_0612.jpg

During the last 30 minutes, I brushed on a glaze of melted apricot jam.

IMG_0616.jpg

These were delicious!

IMG_0617.jpg

Thanks to all for viewing,

John

Last edited:
That looks really good, I'm going to need to try out this recipe. Nice job!

That looks really good. I would be interested in your curing time as I use a very similar dry cure, and have the same kind of fan. I like a 12 hour rest in the fridge before smoking.... but I'm always interested in comparing notes when I see a method similar to mine.

If you have not tried the steelhead from Sam's club, give it a whirl. I prefer it to their salmon. I smoke it and can it as well.

That looks really good. I would be interested in your curing time as I use a very similar dry cure, and have the same kind of fan. I like a 12 hour rest in the fridge before smoking.... but I'm always interested in comparing notes when I see a method similar to mine.

If you have not tried the steelhead from Sam's club, give it a whirl. I prefer it to their salmon. I smoke it and can it as well.

My curing time is 24 hours in the refrigerator. Two hours under the fan for pellicle formation. Smoke time is determined by how long the salmon IT reaches 145˚

I have looked at their steelhead and did give it a thought to try it.

John

My curing time is 24 hours in the refrigerator. Two hours under the fan for pellicle formation. Smoke time is determined by how long the salmon IT reaches 145˚

I have looked at their steelhead and did give it a thought to try it.

John

Thanks for that. I cure salmon fillets 6 to 8 hours depending on thickness, then progressively less for steelhead and trout. I like skin-on too. But your sugar-to-salt ratio is 3:1 and mine is 2:1, and I tend to go lower salt on most things I cure, bacon and ham included. I generally pull the tails from the curing pouches about an hour or 1-1/2 hours earlier and rinse since they are so much thinner. They reach temp in the smoker sooner, so get pulled earlier.

The advantages I see to the steelhead from Sam's is the consistent thickness, very good flavor and the fat ratio appears to be a little higher...... I think the smoked steelhead and canned steelhead are moister than their salmon. I do trim the belly when smoking, but add strips of belly to each jar when canning. On, and by the way if you like fried trout or trout meuniere, the steelhead is excellent for that.

Looks great. Stealhead at Sams. Gonna have to try it. I see it all the time there

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky