No rub, no sauce baby backs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Big Grouch

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 11, 2021
We have a dinner guest with many food alergies. The suggestion was ribs with no rub, no sauce so we're giving it a try. Folks can sauce them on their plates. I made pork chops for years without pre seasoning them and they were good. Got ribs from the butcher shop so I know the meat is good quality, Thinking I'll spritz with water, and wrap at 2 hours or so. It's 20 degrees in Illinois today so we'll find out if the thermal blanket on the Camp Chef works well. I'll keep you posted.

ribs with no rub, no sauce so we're giving it a try.
Fantastic way to do ribs . Smoke them whole , then cut into singles .
Folks can sauce them on their plates.
I've have served them unsauced . Then got the idea to use a skillet on the stove and sauce them that way for service . Had one BBQ sauce and one asian type sauce . Heat the sauce and flip the singles in the pan for a bit until the sauce thickens on the rib .

1670082152178.jpeg
I'll be watching for your results .

I've done sauced, not sauced and half sauced before depending on my audience. Play it safe with your friends the ribs will be fine.

Chris

I've been experimenting with just Pepper and Garlic as my only pre cook seasoning. They came out fair, not great both times. Probably going back to a Rub next time.
Hey Mike, was it salt that your ribs were lacking? The wife and I are now on a low sodium diet. And man, I'm not liking it!

They turned out great 2.5-2-0.5 was the timing, should have been less in the foil. They were moist and a little too tender. Hickory pellets, high smoke setting on Camp Chef for the first 2 hours, spritzed with water.

When the ribs are naked, you can taste the pork, and the crunchy goodness of the fat. And sometimes it flat out hits the spot. And sometimes they need 'help'. Saucing on the plate is a good way to go.

Reactions: cutplug
Good to hear that they turned out great for you!! Did the camp chef blanket work good for you?
It did, but at 20-25 degrees I think I used twice as many pellets as I would on a summer day. No matter, I stock up on them at Costco.

Hey Mike, was it salt that your ribs were lacking? The wife and I are now on a low sodium diet. And man, I'm not liking it!
Yes Colin, no salt added, healthy right? LOL. We're not liking it either, but gotta find something else to add for more flavor.

Reactions: Colin1230
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky