No Oak Chunks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

burnrub

Original poster
Oct 29, 2016
SF Bay Area
I like to use oak for grilling and smoking, but seem to have a hard time finding small quantities of it. A lot of stores around here (northern California where oak trees are abundant) carry wood chunks, but it's rare that they carry oak. The stores have bags of mesquite, hickory, pecan, apple and even cherry. But none of them carry oak. I've looked at home depot, lowes, Ace and orchard. Kingsford even makes various large bags of wood chunks sold at home depot - but don't think the sell oak bags.

Why is it so hard to find oak in stores?

Hey Burnrub, welcome to SMF.  Please be sure to stop in over at Roll Call and say "hi."  That's where folks look for new members.

The reason you're not finding Oak here in NorCal is that it is everywhere on the hillsides.  I've trimmed my oak tree about as much as I can for the smoker. If you don't own an oak tree, about the best places to find cooking oak are the fireplace suppliers who also carry cooking wood. 

Depending on your smoker and how much you need, another source is tree trimmers.  Get to know your oaks then keep an eye out for the trimmers.  I've never been turned down by a tree trimmer when I ask if I can have a branch or two for my smoker (I don't need much for my WSM). They are usually very happy to set aside a few cuts for you as long as you make it easy for them (say when you'll pick it up and do it).  I just ask them to cut it in two foot sections and set it aside.  Then I use my chainsaw at home to cut it into 2" biscuits to age.   

Interesting point you make about the oaks being all over the place. Also, thanks for the tip about tree trimmers - I actually know a guy who trims trees for a living.

I see you are from Sac. I used to live in the Foothill Farms area (near North Highlands).

You sure your local ACE hardware  is not carrying Western brand Oak chunks?  Mine does.

The other issue you are having are the ag stations. I talked to one of the ag agents and he said that they do not allow any Oak to be brought into the state.

Can't get it in stores here, either, except maybe chips or chunks. If I want it for the offset I have to raid the fireplace pile and cut it down to fit.

Cmayna, my local ace doesn't keep it in stock. I actually special ordered some off of Ace's internet site and had it delivered to my local store a few weeks ago. I tried to order some more off their site a few days ago, but it appears they have removed the item and it's no longer available.

I think you're right about ACE not carrying it in stock but per their site you can order a bag and have it delivered to your local ACE store.  Problem is if you are in a hurry it will take between 1-7 days.  Are you looking for chips or chunks?   As soon as I get home, I'm going to see what I use of theirs.  I believe it's the chunks. 

Ever look on eBay many sellers there. I have been very happy with woods from Fruita wood and BBQ supply.

Gander Mountain has it for $7.99 + $4.99 (postage).   I can't drive to Bass Pro for just that amount, so I ordered a bag delivered.  Will say, going to a Bass Pro store is fun.

Ebay does have a good selection of wood, just wish more sellers would sell in large flat rate boxes so I could get a better value.

I recently bought wood from Smokinlicious  and am very happy with the quality - really clean and professional service.

I'll probably place an online order from Bass Pro. Appreciate all the feedback guys.

I spoke to a western brand rep and they said they package post oak. It has a slightly lighter, more white peppery taste than the oak I'm used to, but I really dig it[emoji]128513[/emoji]

OMG!!! Look what I found at my local ACE hardware store, who earlier claimed they didn't have it when I called them. Now they're in the back of my old Chebbie truck. Oh and this is the same hardware store who claimed they didn't have an all aluminum mailbox.....until I came down and pointed one out up high on a shelf to an employee. Yes, the store is all messed up but they have what I want.

Burnrub....if you can't find any and happen to be in Menlo Park, CA someday..:biggrin:

962d1f603a82664a59418600bb7c454e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky