No more store pretzels for me.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
I won't get those frozen soft pretzels anymore. Not after I found out just how simple it is to make at home.My next step will be making my own dough instead of using store bought.
Roll dough out into balls about 1.5 or so inches in diameter. And then boil for 45 seconds in water mixed with baking soda. I did 10 cups water with 1/2 cup baking soda.
Then brush with egg wash. And sprinkle salt on top. I was out of course sea saly. But I had, and used fine sea salt.
Then into a preheated 425 degree oven for 12-15 minutes.

P2130570.jpg

I used store bought cheese dip to dip them in. These are great!

Last edited:
Looks Awesome Steve ! Man I love soft pretzel. Ive done the balls like that with store baught dough and they are awesome! I'm with you though. Need to make the homemade dough next time I try it out. Ive also heard that lye is the way to go instead of banking soda. I actually just ordered some lye off Amazon so I'll be trying that out soon enough.

Thanks Travis. I've heard about using lye as well. Let me know how much different that is from baking soda.

heard that lye is the way to go instead of banking soda
Baking soda works just fine . Been doing these a long time , never used lye . Yes it is the original way , but there is a reason it's not widely used especially at home or around small children .

How do you make a pretzel dough, Steve?
Bread flour =
Salt =
yeast =
110 degree water =
sugar? =
Let rise till doubled?
Follow the boiling in water post?
Follow your baking post?

Do you suppose this would be the same procedure for a hamburger pretzel dough bun, a flatter dough ball and a larger diameter?
I've thought about trying a pretzel dough pizza and a cracker dough one too.

How do you make a pretzel dough, Steve?
Bread flour =
Salt =
yeast =
110 degree water =
sugar? =
Let rise till doubled?
Follow the boiling in water post?
Follow your baking post?

Do you suppose this would be the same procedure for a hamburger pretzel dough bun, a flatter dough ball and a larger diameter?
I've thought about trying a pretzel dough pizza and a cracker dough one too.

I've yet to make my own dough. That will be soon though. I would guess that this would work for a pretzel bun. Some of the pretzel balls I made were a bit large and came out fine. The other day at the store I saw a pack of pretzel hot dog rolls that really got me interested.

Baking soda works just fine . Been doing these a long time , never used lye . Yes it is the original way , but there is a reason it's not widely used especially at home or around small children .
Ive read a lot about the lye and your right it can be extremely dangerous. But I keep seeing the pretzels done this way and I couldn't help myself. Had to order some so I can at least try it out once. This will definitely not be a project I do with the kiddos I assure you. For $7 shipped I figured id give it a shot.

Ive read a lot about the lye and your right it can be extremely dangerous. But I keep seeing the pretzels done this way and I couldn't help myself. Had to order some so I can at least try it out once. This will definitely not be a project I do with the kiddos I assure you. For $7 shipped I figured id give it a shot.

What the hell? It could be a win/win here. Great pretzels. Then pour the lye down the drain to clear the pipes!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky