NM style Pork Green Chile

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
I have realized that I haven’t posted a pork green Chile recipe, odd, at any rate I remembered to take some pictures this time, we make this just about weekly and is a staple in our food rotation along with pintos.

We use Pueblo Chile or Hatch green, we prefer the Pueblo’s but if in a pinch you can roast Poblanos in the oven or with a propane torch to get good green Chile anytime almost anywhere.

Onion, garlic and fire roasted green Chile chopped.

BD1F8ECA-0F7F-4DBA-81A5-4211542E11C0.jpeg

Start off with a 10-12” skillet, add oil enough to lightly fry or sauté, we use olive oil or lard but bacon grease is good too, add diced pork, onion and garlic along with about 2 tsp of good chicken bouillon like Knorr brand along with some fresh cracked pepper for seasoning, a tsp of cumin can also be added, but my bride says no.

49B005B0-501D-42E2-A9A7-6A53E635D222.jpeg

fry this until meat is mostly done, doesn’t have to be 100% because once we make the gravy this will simmer a while and finish the cook. Then here is where you would add the diced roasted green Chile and flour for a rue , we have a gluten-free son so we either use GF flour or most usually I just add corn starch about 2 Tbs mix and coat the meat mixture and just lightly brown,

200A73E9-87F0-4832-9DBA-CD47A2572E76.jpeg

Add water enough for gravy and add in fire roasted tomatoes, if you want, most of my family does not add tomatoes but my wife insists so I do and it’s fine.
D43860CB-F8B7-4DCF-A2D4-B84E45D15AC2.jpeg

Check for salt add if necessary then simmer low for 20-30 minutes and enjoy with beans, tacos, smothered burritos or just fill a bowl and top with cheese and eat with good corn chips or a fresh made tortilla. Very simple and over the top delicious. Enjoy.

3837A0DF-ECD6-4FDD-9410-50CA0A32D54E.jpeg

Looks amazing, nice work! :D

I love using tomatillos with mine but I would never hesitate to use regular tomato. This stuff is great and the additions only make it better :)

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Looks good!

I love a good green chili.

Being a Texas native, my first trip out west was an awakening (in more ways than one). I ordered 'chili' in a restaurant and they brought out this green chile/pork concoction. The waitress did not understand chili con carne was supposed to accompany tamales so I went ahead and ate it with some homemade flour tortillas and crema. Been a green chili fan ever since!

Nice write up and even better looking chili edge.

Point for sure
Chris

Kind of got the red green thing going on all in one bowl.
Merry Christmas!
Great looking pot of chile!
AND with some tortillas and crema (and some frijoles) that would set me back to nap town.

Looks amazing, nice work! :D

I love using tomatillos with mine but I would never hesitate to use regular tomato. This stuff is great and the additions only make it better :)
Thank you, tomatillo is ok but not we we are used to in the 4 corners some use tomato but more don’t. Super simple and delicious.

That sounds and looks great to me also
Would love a bowl of that, will have to try it soon

David
Thanks David, this is very delicious and easy, steps a meal up another level for sure.

Looks good!

I love a good green chili.

Being a Texas native, my first trip out west was an awakening (in more ways than one). I ordered 'chili' in a restaurant and they brought out this green chile/pork concoction. The waitress did not understand chili con carne was supposed to accompany tamales so I went ahead and ate it with some homemade flour tortillas and crema. Been a green chili fan ever since!
Thank you and yes sir green Chile is the good stuff, although Chile con carne is right there and love them together.

Nice write up and even better looking chili edge.

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you Chris, comfort food in the west.

never have had it, but it does look good!
Thank you, you should try it, super easy to make and huge on flavor.

Kind of got the red green thing going on all in one bowl.
Merry Christmas!
Great looking pot of chile!
AND with some tortillas and crema (and some frijoles) that would set me back to nap town.
Thank you and this is comfort food. Here in the west we sometimes will put both red Chile and green on the same plate, that is known as “Christmas “ best of both flavors at once.

Bumping this back up with all the soup threads lately. This is the basic pork green Chile gravy recipe, but you can easily add potatoes and carrots to make a stew/soup. We do this often and garnish with shredded cheese and eat with flour tortillas in a bowl. Comfort food for sure. I’ve watered this down as soup and added cabbage as well, so good.

Heck yeah this is right up my alley. Not sure how I missed it the first time but glad you bumped it!
Heck yeah Jake, this is the stuff that gives a man some hope on those long dark cold nights.

This as a soup base is killer good. Add any roots or vegetables you like, they all love this green Chile base. Potatoes, beans of any kind, cabbage, corn, even greens. Just water it down and adjust the chicken bouillon To taste.

Looking really good. :emoji_thumbsup: We use a variety of pork butt, sometimes it's a coarse grind, other times it's cubes like you have, or a mix of each. Mrs ~t~ takes the lead on green chili and we use a mix of roasted Hatch and poblano, with jalapeno added for heat.

One thing we do differently is apply the seasonings atop the raw meat, and bake this off. This really wakes up the seasonings and partially cooks the pork (the edges make perfect snacks). Then everything in the sheet pan is added to the pot.

m0waXu1.jpg
8oc7whO.jpg

Yours looks fantastic Wayne. I like the caramelizing in the oven, kinda like carnitas. Sometimes we run potatoes through the fry cutter then dice, add those then just enough water to cover and simmer until potatoes are soft. This leaves some very filling taco meat. So many options. Western living ain’t so bad for sure.

Reactions: thirdeye
Great writeup and very tasty looking cook! I love Green Chili and this is a must do soon! I’m glad you bumped this and sorry that I missed it the first go! Great work, definitely in theme with the weather! Points!

That looks great esp with it being 10 degrees out right now. We make one and poblano and jalapenos in it. Ill roast the chiles, tomatillos and onion in the oven before assembling the soup.

I missed this, too, but I'm here now. Besides bell peppers, about the only green peppers we ever see around here are Poblanos. I've only heard of Hatch, but not Pueblos and my wife would definitely prefer the tomatoes. Another added to the long list...

Not sure how I missed it the first time but glad you bumped it!
Exactly!! Have no idea how this was overlooked the first time but glad it got bumped.
Or some hominy for a fast Pozole.
Yes sir!! I love hominy. Planning to make this today and you can count on this addition. Just another perfect day for some comfort food to warm the soul.

Robert

That’s a great looking and probably better tasting cook! You’ve given me a good idea for a new year’s dinner. We love Hatch chilies. My wife and I used to make the trip to Albuquerque late summer/fall to get a few sacks of them. When we flew, the Southwest flight attendants always got a kick out our carry-on “luggage”. Now, we can get them at just about any local grocery store. I love the convenience but kind of miss the treasure hunt.

Thanks for sharing!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky