NM Jalapeno & Pork Pozole In Flour Tortilla Boats (Long & Lotsa Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Well, as promised, I just had to do it. Our good friend SmokinEdge SmokinEdge posted his NM Chile and pork. As soon as I read his thread I knew I had to make it.Thanks for the bump, otherwise I'd have missed it totally. Took a few minutes and thought through a way to maintain the integrity of his meal but add a twist or two of my own...and y'all know I'm like that :emoji_wink:

First change I wanted to do. A few weeks ago I was gifted a cookbook from a great forum friend with 150 world class slow cooker recipes. A lot of what is showcased starts on the cook top then transfers to a slow cooker, add any remaining ingredients, and run on low temp for hours. With a lot of cold weather recently, I've been doing some experimenting with this technique and am sold on it. That was the way I wanted to go with this one.

Ran to our little grocery store early yesterday to grab a few things I needed to round out the meal and had to call an audible. Planned to use Poblanos as was noted in the thread but they were completely sold out. Decided to go with a couple huge fresh jalapenos instead...being that there were really no other options.

So here we go finally and alas. Two large, thick, center cut pork loin chops defrosted.
001.jpg

Decided to just use 2 of the jalapenos. These things are almost as big as bananas.
002.jpg

Sliced in half, seeds and stems removed, and they will go into the oven under the broiler for a few minutes to roast.
003.jpg

Roasted but not charred.
004.jpg

Chop the jalapenos and some onions
005.jpg

Cut up the pork and into a skillet with a couple T of EVOO, the onions, jalapenos, garlic, and butcher's grind black pepper.
006.jpg

Lightly brown the pork, mix in about 2 T of flour, cook for a few minutes, then deglaze the skillet with about 1/4 cup of veggie broth.
007.jpg

Transfer to the crock pot.
008.jpg

Add about 1 more cup of veggie broth, cumin, coriander, paprika, a dollop of BTB vegetable base, and Ro Tel tomatoes with green chilies
009.jpg

Mix it all up, set cooker in high till it gets up to temp and mixture starts to bubble a bit.
010.jpg

When it starts to bubble, add hominy as per thirdeye thirdeye recommendation, and drop temp to low.
011.jpg

After about 3 hours. You can really see it coming together and becoming much more cohesive.
012.jpg

Flour tortilla boats. These go into a 350* oven to firm up and brown just a bit around the edges. Another audible I had to call since they didn't have what I was looking for.
013.jpg

5 hours later it is perfect.
014.jpg

Load the Posole into the tortilla boats, garnish with cilantro, serve with refried beans and warm Charras.
015.jpg

And of course the obligatory close up shot.
016.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, this meal was absolutely spectacular. SmokinEdge SmokinEdge passed onto us one of the finest meals I've ever made or eaten. Tracy and I both agree it was the best ever Mexican / Tex Mex ever and one of the best overall. The depth, richness, and complexity of the spices was just insanely good. You'll notice that the gravy aspect of mine is thicker than what was originally posted. The reason for that was I wanted it to hold up better in the tortilla boats and not turn them to mush. It worked perfectly. I also truly believe that the long, slow cook made a huge difference in the end result. I cannot stress enough how amazingly good this meal was and extend a HUGE thank you for posting this. It was another cold, windy, and nasty day so this was the perfect meal. Thank God I made enough that we have leftovers for another dinner :emoji_wink: Been a while since I've put something together that was enjoyed as much as this one, both from the standpoint of making it to sitting down to eat, not to mention how great the house smelled all afternoon.

Well, gonna call this one done. Thanks for looking and have a very merry Christmas everybody!! Off to make some breakfast for my lovely bride.

Robert

It sure does look like a fine meal Robert. Good Job!!! and a Merry Christmas to you and yours

Point for sure
Chris

Merry Christmas from our home to your home tx smoker tx smoker . You sure knocked this one out of the park! Great job and I like your twists. It’s food like this that makes a person have hope on these long cold winter days, makes you all warm and satisfied inside.

Wow looks great Robert and thanks to SmokinEdge SmokinEdge for the original post. Bookmarked, I think I will try and make it even thicker and use the CI with the tortilla method Robert has posted before. Merry Christmas to all!

It sure does look like a fine meal Robert. Good Job!!! and a Merry Christmas to you and yours
Thanks so much Chris. We enjoyed this...a lot. A bit late but hoping you and yours had a wonderful Christmas sir.

Robert

BIG Merry Christmas to you Robert and you did great by SmokinEdge SmokinEdge .
Very nice meal.

Hope you and Tracy have a great day and lots of good foods will be had by all
Thank you on all counts my friend. hoping all the best for you and Mona to have had a great Christmas. I tried to do the OP
proud with this. Changed up a couple things but kept the dish pretty much as he posted it.

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Merry Christmas from our home to your home tx smoker tx smoker . You sure knocked this one out of the park! Great job and I like your twists. It’s food like this that makes a person have hope on these long cold winter days, makes you all warm and satisfied inside.
Thank you sir for the kind words and well wishes. Hoping you and yours had a great Christmas. I have to admit, of all the meals I've stolen from people on this site and bastardized, I'd put this one right up there at the top. It was truly outstanding.

Robert

Wow looks great Robert and thanks to SmokinEdge SmokinEdge for the original post. Bookmarked, I think I will try and make it even thicker and use the CI with the tortilla method Robert has posted before. Merry Christmas to all!
The kind words are appreciated Cliff. Gotta admit, I like your idea of the torts in a CI skillet. That would be really good. Can't wait to see how it comes out for you.

Robert

Sure looks great!! I could have Mexican flavors daily and be happy.
Thanks Jeff!! We are the same way. Mexican themed food is big around here and this was as legit as it gets. Can't wait to see what you'd come up with for this one :emoji_wink:

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky