Nice Hog cook for father's day on the WSM 22.5

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buckshot billy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 26, 2017
Ontario
I'm the dad but as we all know, the best day we can think of is cooking as much as possible. Cooking up a 7lb boneless butt split in two from Costco and 3 racks of spares.

Seasoned the butts up last night with a simple SPOG/paprika/slap ya mama/ brown sugar and vac sealed em just to keep fridge from reeking and maybe help the salt get a little deeper into em.

Got the WSM 22 roaring at 6 and butts on by 7, and I try to cook about 240-270° so should be good to pull by 4 or 5. Haven't wrapped yet and may not, I'm 7hr in and the bigger one is hanging out at about 183 so I'll see where we are in an hour. Gonna pull and serve with some nice typical eastern North Carolina style thin red pepper and vinegar.

Ribs went on at noon and are looking good. 3 racks of St Louis in very simple salt/pepper/paprika/light brown sugar. May do a half hour in foil but may just let em go sans foil as I have been periodically spritzing with cider/ACV combo and there's no sign of drying out. Going to glaze with a honey/sriracha elixir for a nice combo of sweet/bright chile flavour for last hour. I always aim for clean bite marks but still on bone, almost like the texture of a lean but tender sirloin steak. Sometimes I even find they stay on bone but are too soft so what can I say, I'm hard to please. Gotta be just right and hopefully I can nail it. Have considered Al's international temp method but I don't trust my maverick probe in such a thin piece of pork. Maybe I'll get a razor thin thermopop and attempt it but typically I go by looks and intuition and I'm usually pretty much bang on.

Edit to add, I'm running Royal Oak briqs and maybe half a dozen chunks of apple throughout cook.

The Mrs is making some nice cabbage and French fries for sides, my little girls are enjoying the summer heat in the backyard and father-in-law and sister-in-law will be joining so it ought to be a nice cook overall.

Happy father's day to the other pa's on here. I'll update pics as cook continues.
Ribs just as they hit fire
CZQTemu.jpg

Butts at about 4hr
H36EhJx.jpg

Brown rum with lime, pineapple, drop of bitters and crushed ice. These keep the cook hydrated and cheerful. Ice cold beer is equally effective.
IZiuKuP.jpg

Last edited:
Smaller of the butts finished up already, couldn't help but sneak a chunk from the corner. Bark set up nice and it feels good and soft. Was boneless so no bone to yank but this one is wrapped and in cooler for couple hours. Plenty of time til dinner anyhow.

Bigger one has moved up to 189 according to the maverick.

z2m6LsR.jpg

Ribs looking good 3hr in.
dlV6OUg.jpg

Weirdly the shitty stock Weber thermometer and my Maverick appear to be in near perfect harmony. Well, I'll take it.
npDmxqD.jpg

7xg1gVJ.jpg

Well everything came out just right. Didn't wrap either ribs or butts over fire but did wrap/towel/cooler the butts while I waited for the 3 racks to finish.

Total time for the butts was 8hr for the smaller one and 9 for bigger. The ribs were 5 hours spritzed regularly and glazed with honey sriracha combo for last hour. Temp floated between 240 and 270° throughout and I probably burned a bag and a third of royal oak and about 8 apple chunks.

Right fresh off the fire.
BUEJB3D.jpg

Chopped up nice. I was pleased with meat texture and colour.
NOuA3rr.jpg

ASas9qN.jpg

The butts pulled beautifully. Minimal inedible fat, great jerky-like bark and tender succulent strands. Worked beautifully with the dirt simple east N.Carolina style red pepper/vinegar. Buns were stale as can be but who the hell noticed?
ap3AyCW.jpg

Didn't take any plate shots as we were too busy crushing it down. Was happy with the cook and participants were quite thrilled so a win I'd say.

That looks like one heck of a fathers days meal.

Point for sure.

Chris

Great looking PP & ribs!
Really nice color on the ribs!
And congrats on making the carousel!!
Al

Wow, those ribs and butts sure do look good. Great color! Were they in smoke the entire time?

Thank all of you for the kind words and compliments.

I'm not sure what you mean by "making the carousel"?

Wow, those ribs and butts sure do look good. Great color! Were they in smoke the entire time?

It's hard to say how long each got smoke, I put 4 golf ball size chunks in at beginning and 4 more maybe 15min before ribs went on. Not sure what that really equates to.

Thank all of you for the kind words and compliments.

I'm not sure what you mean by "making the carousel"?

Go to the main forum page and look at the pictures that are rotating at the top. That's the carousel. It's special cooks from the members of the forum that are featured.

Chris

Nice!!!

Where do you buy your ribs?

I pick them up from a local meat packer, usually I stock up when they go on sale for $1.99/lb which seems to happen once a month or so. The place is called Highland Packers but it’s a bit of a drive from SC, I’m up yonder in Ontario Canada ;)

Beautiful color/bark on all your meats, really nice cook.
Nice quality pics for us to enjoy.

Multiple Likes!

Really nice compliment, thank you.

I always appreciate a nice picture heavy BBQ thread for inspiration/ideas so I figured I'd be generous with the Q-view.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky