Next project.....JERKY!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Pulled all of it off of the smoker a little over an hour ago. Some of the thicker pieces went into the dehydrator, the rest just threw in cake pans. The flavor is very good, the texture is not as good as my first batch. My theory is this......if you look in the pics of me slicing it up, this top round is certified angus beef, which is like a high grade of USDA choice, which means it has good marbling, and that shows up in those pics. I think the marbling is great for a roast or for steaks, not so great for jerky. I will stick with eye of round next time, and since I purchased this top round, I have found a cheaper source for eye of round. I, not disappointed, mind you, and it will all get eaten, I just want to make the best product I can, and this wasn't that. I did learn, too, that it is easier to get consistency of drying in smaller batches, so I will do 5 lb. instead of 10 next time and see if the drying is more consistent. Thanks for looking!

Here is the pic of what is done, the rest is in the dehydrator behind the jerky.

I almost exclusively use too round. Choice. Usually the "London Broil" cut. When trimmed properly almost no fat. As you've found you don't want fat.

Are you buying the whole primal cut and breaking it down?

I almost exclusively use too round. Choice. Usually the "London Broil" cut. When trimmed properly almost no fat. As you've found you don't want fat.

Are you buying the whole primal cut and breaking it down?
No, in this case, I just bought some top round roasts at my local grocer. The further I cut into them, the more marbled they looked.....I didn't think they looked that marbled in the meat case, but maybe I was just overlooking the marbling because I had jerky on the brain.

I can buy a whole eye of round and trim it up, and I think that is what I will do next time. The last eye of round I used looked like venison in that there was no fat marbled in the meat, just meat. 

Lots of good info here.   Getting ready to do my first beef jerky and am sitting here learning.

No, in this case, I just bought some top round roasts at my local grocer. The further I cut into them, the more marbled they looked.....I didn't think they looked that marbled in the meat case, but maybe I was just overlooking the marbling because I had jerky on the brain.

I can buy a whole eye of round and trim it up, and I think that is what I will do next time. The last eye of round I used looked like venison in that there was no fat marbled in the meat, just meat. 
It sounds like you got part of the cap and not the "London Broil" part of the top round The hunk that you got is what I'd normally grind for ground beef. I can also get eye round but it is $4 per pound more than top when I buy it whole from the restaurant supply. Since I grind my own burger the whole top round makes the most sense price wise. I get a good portion of jerky and the rest ends up being ground beef.

Great jerky recipe and the photos look good! My kitchen looked very similar to yours back when I was first starting off making homemade jerky! I have since launched a craft jerky site at www.4seasonsjerky.com Please go check it out and let me know what you think. There are available discounts! Good luck in making awesome, delicious jerky!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky