Newbie Smoker Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MarchHare

Original poster
Jul 13, 2021
Greetings and thank you in advance for any helpful suggestions.
I have been looking at and reading many reviews for smokers including Jeff's book "Smoking Meat".
I've pretty much decided on purchasing the Weber 18" WSM.
My concern is placing the smoker.
I'm in a manufactured home that has two decks.
One covered front deck off the living room and one open side deck off the kitchen.
Off the kitchen is of course the most convenient.
This deck also contains my Weber Genesis grill.
My concern is leaving a smoker going over night or with minimal attendance for the cook period. The deck is wood construction.
Thinking about building a small platform off to the side of the deck to place the smoker. Of course this impacts any convenience by having to move and set up the smoker.
I would like to have your comments and suggestions please, especially from anyone with a similar situation.
March...

Amazon has Fireproof Under Grill Mats. Pavers on the deck is an option. Any cooker on a deck is a risk to leave unattended. My cookers are on my deck but I monitor temps with a therm that has an Over Temp Alarm. I will go back in the house leaving the smoker but I monitor it. If I fall asleep, my Wife is there to take over monitoring.
The Weber is loved by many. Unless you reached your budget limit, get the 22". Some of the 22" Kettle accessories will fit and large cuts like whole Brisket, fit better. Many wish they went bigger few go smaller...JJ

If you add the risk of fire + the mess possibility= yard, as your best bet. Once you get it set up, you rarely have to check it so a few extra steps is worth it. Spill some charcoal or grease in the grass, no big deal.

Reactions: MarchHare
Really appreciate you guys checking in.
I first thought of a paver on the deck under the WSM. I would have to make a run or two in order to feel comfortable. I'll bet the smoker gets pretty hot at the bottom.
I monitor temps with a therm that has an Over Temp Alarm
Good idea. Is this available at Amazon?
get the 22".
Hmmm...
I am pretty much at my budget limit. Getting the 22" pretty much eliminates any extras or mods.
Retired on a fixed income. :emoji_slight_frown:
Spill some charcoal or grease in the grass, no big deal.
Thanks Big W.
I'm too OCD I'd have to mop it up so the ants don't dirty their feet. :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:
March...

I monitor temps with a therm that has an Over Temp Alarm
Good idea. Is this available at Amazon.

Purchase a digital thermometer that is capable of setting "high and low" temperatures. That way if you are doing an overnight smoke at like 225°, you can set low temp maybe 180° ( if coals go out or similar), and set high on 260° ( fire running wild ) . You get the picture

Edit : PS , I join the crowd of not doing overnight on a deck.

These guys have you covered! Having ocd is bad enough... I have some friends that have cdo! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Reactions: Winterrider
Good idea. Is this available at Amazon.

Purchase a digital thermometer that is capable of setting "high and low" temperatures. That way if you are doing an overnight smoke at like 225°, you can set low temp maybe 180° ( if coals go out or similar), and set high on 260° ( fire running wild ) . You get the picture

Edit : PS , I join the crowd of not doing overnight on a deck.
I recommend high low alarms all the time to people who plan on cooking while they sleep. Must keep in mind though.......probes fail all the time, units disconnect from wifi, batteries die etc. So don't use that as you 100% I'm safe plan!

Atleast if smoker is in the yard worse case you lose a smoker or a brisket to fire......on a wood deck connected to a manufactured home could end much worse

Reactions: Winterrider
You people are really very helpful. Thank you.:emoji_grinning:
Purchase a digital thermometer that is capable of setting "high and low" temperatures
Got it! Thank you. 👍
I also read that one can use a 24" water heater pan to protect a deck. This being put under said smoker. I think that I might use this as a protector under normal daylight smoking.
If I were to do an over night smoke, I will install some pavers at ground level.
The WSM is fairly portable.
This will satisfy my ocd. I think? :emoji_rolling_eyes:
[QUOTE . I have some friends that have cdo! ][/QUOTE]
CDO!!! 😰
Whats cdo ??
Ah! I probably have it. I've got everything else.

You people are really very helpful. Thank you.:emoji_grinning:

Got it! Thank you. 👍
I also read that one can use a 24" water heater pan to protect a deck. This being put under said smoker. I think that I might use this as a protector under normal daylight smoking.
If I were to do an over night smoke, I will install some pavers at ground level.
The WSM is fairly portable.
This will satisfy my ocd. I think? :emoji_rolling_eyes:
[QUOTE . I have some friends that have cdo! ]
CDO!!! 😰
Whats cdo ??
Ah! I probably have it. I've got everything else.
[/QUOTE]
CDO is OCD in alphabetical order! :emoji_laughing:

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky