Newbie Question Searing on GMG Daniel Boone

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ruebus

Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
I am a newbie to this pellet grill stuff, well that's not even accurate. I am picking up a new GMG Daniel Boone In a few days, which I know that's going to lead to lead to a whole nother discussion, but I am really motivated by the 12 volt aspect of it for the mods I'm going to do to it, and some of the places I will be using it. I am not new to smoking, I started out with a old barrel smoker, which I still have. Then moved on to a propane unit, which I still have, But here is my question. This unit states it will get up to 550 degrees, and I realize that is in optimal condition, but if I want to sear a steak after a low and slow cook, can I just crank the heat up and let the steak sear for a couple of minutes, then flip it, or do I need to pull the steaks, bring the unit to temp then place them back on the grill for a couple of minutes? Second question, are grill grates effective and worth the $$$, or is there a cheaper option?

PS. This is my first post. I've been a member for several years but have been absent for about 3 years
Thanks for the help

First of all, welcome back! I was very hit and miss for a long while.... but this place is like my second home!

You can sear a steak on that grill... However, if your looking for grill marks.. grill grates do work! I’d recommend a reverse sear like my good friend seenred seenred done! He got me hooked on these!

First of all, welcome back! I was very hit and miss for a long while.... but this place is like my second home!

You can sear a steak on that grill... However, if your looking for grill marks.. grill grates do work! I’d recommend a reverse sear like my good friend seenred seenred done! He got me hooked on these!

Thank you, I was hoping I could. Now do you leave the steaks in and ramp the temp, or do you pull the meat until the higher temp is achieved?

Well, the logistics of what you are asking for I do not believe are possible unless you are willing to wait. The following is my personal opinion...
A pellet grill uses an auger to push pellets into a burn pot and a fan to provide oxygen for efficient burning. The burn pot, about the size of a cup, is significantly small compared to the volume it needs to heat. Under OPTIMAL conditions, your grill can hit 550 degrees.......... after about 20-30 minutes minimum.
By then, my normal grill or cast iron on the stove would be sufficient to sear 10 sets of steaks before my pellet grill was at temp... or my kitchen oven could get to 550 degrees and it would be the same thing. A pellet grill burning to keep 550 has no smoke, so it's just an outdoor oven, burning money.
Also, if you've ever done a bunch of low and slow on the pellet grill, you'll have oils and creosote built up in it; On it's way to 550, that'll all start to smoke and turn gross.

With that said, the pellet grill's main advantage is being able to have a controller manage the temp. Lower temperatures are where this things shines, it is the best bang for your buck. Running a pellet grill at 550 requires significant amount of pellets to get up to temp and maintain it... I'd just turn my stove on with a cast iron and be done with it in less than 8 minutes...

I'm on the fence with grill grates. I don't have a set myself, but I've seen them used... It looks like I can get the same results with my gas grill... not sure it's worth it. I'd have to have a side by side test in my grill and see about temperature/maillard reaction comparison.

To sear on your pellet smoker you would need to pull the meat off the cooker, increase your set point and wait for the cooker to reach the higher setting and then return the meat to the cooker for searing.
If you leave the meat (steak) on during ramp up it will most likely be way over cooked before you get a good sear.
Grill grates are worth the money in my opinion. They will certainly help get a sear (grill marks) especially when using a pellet grill.
If you have a set of grill grates you can use them on anything. Pellet grill, gas grill, charcoal grill and even in your oven. They work well also flipped upside down for a small griddle effect.
Good luck on your purchase.
Johnny Ray

To sear on your pellet smoker you would need to pull the meat off the cooker, increase your set point and wait for the cooker to reach the higher setting and then return the meat to the cooker for searing.
If you leave the meat (steak) on during ramp up it will most likely be way over cooked before you get a good sear.
Grill grates are worth the money in my opinion. They will certainly help get a sear (grill marks) especially when using a pellet grill.
If you have a set of grill grates you can use them on anything. Pellet grill, gas grill, charcoal grill and even in your oven. They work well also flipped upside down for a small griddle effect.
Good luck on your purchase.
Johnny Ray
That is exactly what I was thinking. I was just trying to be lazy and not have to pull them. I appreciate your input

Even if pulling and waiting, you’ll get some degree of carryover cooking so pull sooner than the final doneness you like. I’d just use something else to sear ... griddle, gas grill, etc. ... maybe even a torch, tho that can take a while

Reactions: ruebus
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky