• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Newbie here, need some volume advice

blackflag

Joined Mar 8, 2011
I am smoking for 20 big eater adults and 8 kids.  How many pounds of meat (net) and how many gallons of slaw and beans do I need to make sure there is enough without sending anyone off with 5 pounds of extras?

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009
We need more info. What meat are you cooking and how are you preparing it

Rib are diffeent than pulled pork or brisket or sausage and what else are you serving with this food

blackflag

Joined Mar 8, 2011
Sliced brisket and pulled pork for the meat.  Cole slaw and bbq baked beans for the sides.  There'll be bread, cookies, pickles and all, but those are the four main things I'm making.

eman

Rest in peace. Lost but not forgotten!!
Staff member
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
Figure 1/3 lb meat ,pp after cooking . 3oz scoop of each side will give everyone a good meal . Then add acouple of lbs of each meat and some extra sides just in case someone is real hungry, drops a plate etc.

oldschoolbbq

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 16, 2008
Black flag,if your big eaters are like mine,go for 1/2lb, each adult and the kiddos for 1//3lb.You may
have some left but that's no biggie here
they get eaten by ttthe end of the day

As for the sides, a 4oz. portion for each is usually good

Hope you have a great time and remember to...

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Jul 7, 2005
Blackflag-Welcome to SMF-you have been given some great advice to you question.

Please take a moment and stop by Roll Call and introduce youself to the masses that hang out here.

Enjoy the smoke!

fpnmf

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 19, 2010
Look at this!!

SoEzzys Planner has all you answers!!

Craig

blackflag

Joined Mar 8, 2011
Awesome guys, thank you much for the advice.  Look forward to getting to know this site more once I survive this weekend.  Thanks again.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Sounds like you've got all the info. Good luck this weekend!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.