Newbie From Manitoba Canada

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

backtothebush

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
Hi there!

I live up north in Winnipeg Canada. I used to hunt a lot, and just got back into it. I have never done my own smoking, but just got my hands on something perfect to build a smoker, an old fridge that is metal both inside and out! It will be my winter project.

I plan on making jerky, pepperrettes, sausages in my smoker once completed.

I joined this forum to get some help for my build, as well as learning the basics on smoking as it is something I have never done.

Glad to be here!

Ill post in the build section to get help with my project.

Reactions: mn smoken
Hello and Welcome to our addiction.  A word of warning: There is no 12 step program for this one!  Many good folk here with a load of experience that they are more than willing to share.  If you have specific questions just start a thread and someone with experience will be along soon to offer advice.  All info you can provide us with such as smoker type, location and so on will help us answer any questions you may have.  Spend some time doing some research on the forums, tons of advice and recipes already available there.  We look forward to your contributions.  Have fun.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

ok... not sure what personal info youre looking for, but here goes.

My name is Paul. I am a 40 year old guy from Winnipeg. I am about to build my first smoker. I have never smoked before, so I am truly uneducated when it comes to the types of smokers I could make. I just got back into hunting after about 20 years, and know that when I get some game I want to make jerky, sausages and "pepperrettes". Thats what my old man used to call them. If I could describe them, I would simply get you to look at these:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...cks-using-mes-40-and-amnps-with-lots-of-qview

Im not sure what I want to convert my fridge to. I want simple: smoldering wood chips making heat and smoke. analog thermometer. cheap and easy. so... If I want to stay away from electric elements and propane, what are my options? Charcoal briquettes?

any info will help!!

thanks

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions Post it
and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is because their
are so many different ways to make great Q We all have our own taste.

Happy smoken.

David

ok... not sure what personal info youre looking for, but here goes.

My name is Paul. I am a 40 year old guy from Winnipeg. I am about to build my first smoker. I have never smoked before, so I am truly uneducated when it comes to the types of smokers I could make. I just got back into hunting after about 20 years, and know that when I get some game I want to make jerky, sausages and "pepperrettes". Thats what my old man used to call them. If I could describe them, I would simply get you to look at these:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...cks-using-mes-40-and-amnps-with-lots-of-qview

Im not sure what I want to convert my fridge to. I want simple: smoldering wood chips making heat and smoke. analog thermometer. cheap and easy. so... If I want to stay away from electric elements and propane, what are my options? Charcoal briquettes?

any info will help!!

thanks

Since I have never smoked before, I dont know what kind to make. I see a lot on here using complicated thermostats, smoke generators and temp monitorring... seems way over board to me. I just want to generate some heat and smoke to smoke some venison. Just read mules-casingless-beef-snack-sticks. I will be making those for sure.

What type of smoker is the most simple way to smoke venison? I have a buddy that just has some old metal coffee tins with smoking chips that creates heat and smoke. No elements or propane or anything like that.

I want to be simplistic.

Welcome fellow Canadian!

canada-flag-68.gif

I was just in Winnipeg in September to watch the BC Lions play Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Too bad the Grey Cup was such a one sided affair. Oh well, there is always next year for the Bombers and Lions.

I only started smoking last year and I found so much help in this forum. There is a lot of information in the posts and the members are great people who will share their experience.

I look forward to your posts!

Disco

Oops on my previous post above ^^. That was meant for a different thread.

Personal info? hmmmm

My names Paul. I am a 40 year old getting back into hunting and plan on smoking what I harvest.

As to "pepperrettes" thats just what my family calls pepperoni sticks basically. I would call these pepperrettes

I have an old fridge that is my winter project. 

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything  ........
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Hi Paul, welcome to the forums!  Glad you've joined our group.  Good luck with your fridge build project!  You'll find there are lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who genuinely enjoy helping one another.  Looking forward to your input, and just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.

Red

Looking forward to seeing your build and future smokes Happy Thanksgiving

Gary

Hey, do you know where in Winnipeg is a good (cheapest) place to get smoking supplies (wood chips etc...)?

BTW... when people call it Winterpeg I usually reply with a deadpan look "Yeah.... We are also the murder capital of Canada. Wanna make fun of my city again?" LOL!! 

th_INGardenbbq7.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky