Newb

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

theredlines

Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
Simi Valley,CA
Well, about the only experience I have with smoking is eating the goods. I love smoked meat but don't get much of a chance to eat it so I figured I betting start doing a little smoking myself. I am a complete noob to the subject so I figured I better find a forum. Looks like I found the right place. I look forward to reading and sharing my experiences with you all.
-Duke

Welcome Duke,

Glad you are here!

Do you have a smoker? If so, what type? Browse through the forums. Folks here share recipies, experiences, and smoking tips and tricks. Please consider taking Jeff's 5-day course by email on smoking basics.

If you have questions the friendly folks here will make answer.

Take care, have fun, and do good.

Regards,

Meowey

Well, Im in the middle of the course now (just finished day 2) and I don't have a smoker yet. I have however been given permission to spend up to $200 to get one. So I'm looking for suggestions.
Thanks for the welcomes!

Welcome to SMF Duke, sounds like you are off on the right foot with the 5-day eCourse!!!

As far as which smoker goes there will be as many opinions as there are smokers probably. I think I would suggest going to the Charcoal smoker section of the forum and study up and ask lots of questions. There are lots of post in there from new guys with new smokers so maybe you can catch some things about various models you do and don't like before you spend your allowance and have one in the backyard.

Take a good look at the Smokey Mountain Series of Smokers by Great Outdoors. Descriptions ade use can be found in the Propane smoker section of the forum. They fit into the $$$ guidelines that you have mentioned.

Meowey

Hi Duke................yep, ya found the right place alright. You could start a restaurant and just use the recipes right here and make a million. 8)

Welcome to the forum! I think if anything , you might find too much info here, definitely no shortage.

You might check Lowe's online and take a look at the chargriller super pro w/ side fire box. It's an offset which is user friendly, and doubles as a fair charcoal grill. It can be had for the $200 range.

There are bullet smokers available for under $100, but they don't hold much, and they really limit what you can do and how you can do it.

Be sure to remember that whatever you buy, within a year or two, you'll want to replace it w/ something bigger and better.

Of course, that'll be easy, because by then your wife will be hooked on your smoked food, and will be ready for anything that will allow you to do it better and more often.
wink.gif

Good luck in your efforts my friend, and never hesitate to ask for input!

Hey thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome. So here's what I've decided. In the interest of keeping it somewhat simple so that I can concentrate on a delicious end product, I just ordered the 3605BGD GOSM Big Block. Hopefully this will help me get started on the right foot. Now I'm off to learn about thermometers.....
wink.gif

Looks like we have converted another hapless soul to the gas side. :mrgreen:

Welcome to SMF, Duke-you've made a good choice with the Big Block. A number of us here use that same model. But don't count out the offsets that use charcoal and wood chunks or sticks. Sure it's a different kind of animal and has a different learning curve, but it does allow you that primal urge to burn something!

I'll look for you in the forums!

Enjoy-

Welcome Duke. You did find just the right place. Glad to have you here. Keep us up on what you decide to buy, as there is much more to come after the purchase! Good luck, and enjoy!

Duke, Gypc is right, You can start a restaurant with the recipes here. Well, That and 500g's .. Welcome to SMF

Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky