New Year's Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_mike_m

Original poster
May 14, 2018
Northern New Jersey
It was slightly chilly and very windy here in Northern NJ on New Year's Day. I was planning to smoke about 10 pounds of pork belly, but the cure wasn't completely done, so I opted for a small brisket flat. After trimming, it was about 5 pounds. I used the low-salt "Jeff's Rub", and popped it on the smoker (WSM 18) at 250 using mostly cherry and hickory chunks. For this one, I did fat-side down the entire time.

After hitting the stall, I let it continue to sit there unwrapped for another hour or so until it got later in the day. Finally wrapped and pulled it off when it hit 200. Since my GF and I were getting hungry, and the smell of good smoke only heightens that, rest time was only 20 minutes.

Served with packaged mac-n-cheese, Bush's hint-o-honey baked beans, cole slaw and red potato salad made for a most excellent meal!

Slices like butter....

Dinner last night (1/2) was leftover brisket grilled cheese sandwich.

Notes:
Fat side down seems to render out more of the fat I didn't trim.
Tenderness and moistness seemed unaffected by short rest time. Even "day 2" brisket was still very moist.
I need to build a barricade around the smoker for high-wind days!

Thanks Scott-
This is brisket number 5 for me. Learning a bit more every time I light the smoker. Thankfully, I can experiment a bit when it's just the two of us for dinner. She's very understanding and enjoys the "mistakes" or miscalculations that I encounter even if it means we eat at 8pm!

Looks super tasty. I was so tempted to get a packer brisket for my Christmas/New Year time off but opted for pulled pork and a prime rib roast. Now my mouth is watering for some brisket again. Thumbs up to you for sure.

George

Reactions: mr_mike_m
Looks great to me!
I especially like the grilled cheese/brisket sandwich.
I made me a Grilled cheese on our new stove griddle the other night. Wife was sick and didn't want one.
It was delish!

Reactions: mr_mike_m
Hi Mike Costco's Center in Hackensack has prime briskets..Also good beef ribs.
Dan
Thanks Dan - I've been hitting up the CostCo in Wharton or East Hanover. I now have access to the Restaurant Depot in Pine Brook and looking forward to doing a full packer - IF it fits on my WSM 18! Haven't done beef ribs yet... Lots of pork though!

Looks great to me!
I especially like the grilled cheese/brisket sandwich.
I made me a Grilled cheese on our new stove griddle the other night. Wife was sick and didn't want one.
It was delish!
Grilled cheese with brisket was HER idea, and was spot-on!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky