New WSM Owner, Just Joined the Forum

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

krubby

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
OK, I'm good at following directions, so per the request here I am checking in.

After WEEKS of research (this site especially, but also Youtube videos, Amazon, other places...) I pulled the trigger and my 22.5 Weber Smokey Mountain arrived today.  Can't wait to start to use it.

I have been a lover of my Weber Genesis grill for 15 +  years.  About every main meal for parties, gatherings etc. and many many family meals come via my grill.  So I am pretty good on the grill and making foods that way.

Thought it was finally time to step up to a smoker as well and working to make wonderful meals on that.

Other thing about me is I am very into Home Brewing beer as well.  Something that I have enjoyed for a number of years.

Looking forward to spending a lot of time on here and learning about the WSM.  I believe my first step is to get it set up and do a food free (or one with some scraps) to start the seasoning...

PS in Central Ohio, so anticipate some cold mornings with my new toy for a few months

Reactions: peewee76
Grats! Welcome to the Evil R2D2 club.... lol. You will really like the WSM, just remember they run hot the first half dozen or so smokes so damp it down early so the temps don't get away from you. I suggest doing chicken a few times to get a feel for temp control.

Welcome to the forum this is the place for great info and even nicer people. I have a WSM also and love it super easy to control temps. have fun and enjoy

Thanks.  Yes I was anticipating a few Chicken meals mainly because I think it might be a bit more forgiving. Quarters or maybe some whole chickens.   Plus cheaper until I get the hang of it.  Maybe a Pork Butt in there as well though only because my wife loves pulled pork. I better make something to sell her on this fairly quickly, for now I am still getting the eye rolls and "I can't believe you have yet another toy" look.

I'm saving the ribs and a Brisket try until I get the feel and I get it seasoned a bit. 

Pork butts a one of the most forgiving cuts you can do very hard to screw up and if the wife is happy life is loads easier

Great - I was hoping that might be the case. 

A man volunteering to stay out of the house for a good portion of the day AND make and serve dinner.  How mad can she really be with that anyway...

texas.gif
  Good afternoon and welcome to the forum, from a rainy and cool day in East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary 

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions
Post it and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is
because their are so many different ways to make great Q...
Happy smoken.
David

Welcome KRubby to SMF and the WSM world!  You'll have that baby mastered in just a smoke or two.  Better watch out though, she'll figure out how much you love smoking meat and suddenly you're doing ALL the cooking!  I speak from experience, and wouldn't have it any other way. 

Glad you're here and looking forward to sharing your WSM creations.

Ray

One trick I use with my 22.5" WSM - plan a big smoke once or twice a month, then vacuum pack it into 1 lb. portions and toss them in the freezer. Makes dinners super easy!

To reheat you just put the vacuum bag of meat in a pot of almost simmering water and let it hang out till its hot and juicy, open bag and enjoy! It also maximizes your fuel use if you fill the smoker when you light it.

That is a great idea - if I am firing this thing up might as well do a few meals on it and use the space.

Yes sometimes I will be using this for larger gatherings, but at least 1/2 the time just to cook something up for my family of 5 (2 of which are pre teens that don't eat that much anyway...)

Vacuum bag sealer and bags might be a good Christmas gift for the wife.  BTW we have been married for 19 years, we are way past the "wow, that is not very romantic" phase - a vacuum bag system would be much appreciated by her.  We gravitated towards practical years ago.

I am very much looking forward to warmer weather where I can sit out and be smoking meats and brewing beer all at the same time. 

.... for those large family gatherings you will love it. My folks remodeled their house and had me provide the smoked meat for a Christmas party for the contractors and their families: (4) 10 lb. pork butts and (3) 15 lb briskets all at the same time on my 22.5" WSM!

UGH... I decided to start a new thread so I can get advise on that one, but as you can see I was super excited about my new Weber.  Went to put it together tonight and it is all kinds of bent up.  at least the middle section and maybe the door and top grate

The middle section (I think) is so bent I can't get the top lid to sit inside the ring.  Door is also bent up and top grate is bent to the point it rocks back and forth about 1/3 of an inch.

I tried and tried to bend but it is really bad. 

anyway, I don't want to repeat all this on another thread.  just frustrated a bit.  I know bigger things in life to worry about, but I was really excited about the quality of Weber (paid more in my opinion for the quality). 

Last edited:

Don't get frustrated.  I know it's a disappointment but let Weber make it right.  They will.
yes I should of just kept to one thread but what is nice is I don't NEED this immediately.  Would of most likely been next weekend before I could season and then maybe next day smoke with it. 

So I have time and I am sure can work with them

thanks so much for the quick replies.  this place rocks 

Weber will make it right...they have helped me in the past!!  I too have a new 18.5 and  I gotta tell you I am totally impressed with this smoker.  Gotta love this food.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky