New WSM Owner, Just Joined the Forum

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

.... for those large family gatherings you will love it. My folks remodeled their house and had me provide the smoked meat for a Christmas party for the contractors and their families: (4) 10 lb. pork butts and (3) 15 lb briskets all at the same time on my 22.5" WSM!

This looks awesome, at what temp and for how long did you smoke this? Did you run it up to 200 degrees?

This looks awesome, at what temp and for how long did you smoke this? Did you run it up to 200 degrees?
Sorry forgot to get back to you over the weekend. Smoker was running about 240° and the meat was on for approx. 10-12 hrs. for the butts and 13-15 hours on the briskets. I started checking internal temps around the 10 hr. mark 1 but was ready to come off, the other two were closer to the 12 hr mark. 1 brisket finished around the 13 hr. mark the other two went to 15 hrs. Here is the thread:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...ion-how-much-meat-can-you-put-into-a-22-5-wsm

Right there is an excellent example of why not to use cooking time as your only guideline. Looking at your pictures butts were similar in size as were the briskets but all were different cooking times. Sometimes it just takes longer because of the type, age feeding, care and makeup of the animal.

Good job all looks tasty

Gary

Right there is an excellent example of why not to use cooking time as your only guideline. Looking at your pictures butts were similar in size as were the briskets but all were different cooking times. Sometimes it just takes longer because of the type, age feeding, care and makeup of the animal.

Good job all looks tasty

Gary
Yup, the butts were all within about 1 lb. of each other, and same with the briskets. I think the biggest variance I had was two 10 lb. butts, one took 10 hrs. the other took 16 hrs., amazing the variation you can get.

Congrats on the WSM!  I recently got the 18.5...wish I had sprung for the 22.5!  I haven't been smoking too long, but I do know that the WSM's are a remarkable product!  They are used in competition bbq and maintain a very consistent heat when used properly.  To maintain an even more consistent heat, try using good old Kingsford blue.  I really love the flavor that Royal Oak Hardwood Lump charcoal imparts to my 'que, but when I'm looking for a long, consistent temp, I use Kingsford.  It's not as "set it and forget it" as an electric smoker, but I swear it comes pretty darn close.  Hope your matters on your bent WSM get settled soon so you can start enjoying using this product!

Congrats on the WSM!  I recently got the 18.5...wish I had sprung for the 22.5!  I haven't been smoking too long, but I do know that the WSM's are a remarkable product!  They are used in competition bbq and maintain a very consistent heat when used properly.  To maintain an even more consistent heat, try using good old Kingsford blue.  I really love the flavor that Royal Oak Hardwood Lump charcoal imparts to my 'que, but when I'm looking for a long, consistent temp, I use Kingsford.  It's not as "set it and forget it" as an electric smoker, but I swear it comes pretty darn close.  Hope your matters on your bent WSM get settled soon so you can start enjoying using this product!
thanks for the wishes.  Came home today to find a huge box with the NEW center section waiting for me.  Before I connected all the hardware (this time...) I was smart enough to try the lid on.

Fits like a glove.

Woot! Grats, always nice to see a company stand behind a good product. You will really like your WSM, mine has never let me down.

View media item 358996

I am new to the forum....did just about all the research on smokers that you would want and then bought the WSM 22.5 model.   I already have a barrel “offset” smoker that I did all my smoking on before….I think I did a good job with it.   Also have a 18.5 weber kettle and a large gas grill.   My most cherished Weber is a “Huge” kettle I bought in 1979 in the Navy Exchange in Naples IT.  I have used it to do tailgates at the Redskin’s games where the original hogs and “Art Monks” joined in the fun.   It still holds up but I have relegated it to be a “fire pit” as it has considerable age in it.

I am a retired Submarine Officer, a past member of the US Military Vets MC (had a Harley Electra Glide Ultra and a chopper I built)…..no longer a member due to desires of my wife, children and grand kids.

I came here to find a way to smoke my homemade polish sausage (yes I make 5 different sausages) in the Weber Smoker.   Now I’m trying to make bacon but my first batch was only salt pork…threw it away because you folks scared me about the possibility of “excess nitrates”…Trying to do Canadian bacon and hoping it too is not salt pork.

Presently live in Northern VA and work to support the strategic submarine program office.   Wife and I now spend out time riding our tandem bicycle (trips to Elba, Tuscany and Chianti one year, Northwest Ireland the next and riding down the Rhine rive the next….this next year we are riding the Mississippi from Memphis to New Orleans using the Delta Queen as our Hotel)

Lived in Naples for almost 3 years and learned to cook Italian food like the Italians do.  Collect wine too.

Would like to become a member….need some help getting things right…

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky