New Traeger. Need Advice. Food Not Smoky Enough

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

camox413

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 14, 2016
Hey guys,

So I used to use a basic el cheapo brinkman smoker box. I got tired of it and upgraded to a Traeger Junior Elite 20. I really liked my first cook on it last week but my food was no where near as smokey. I've noticed that once the traeger is up to temp, smoke stops. I know that's how this grill works and others have the same issue. I've done some research and just ordered an Amazing tube to try to get more smokey flavor. 

Should I find a way to close up some of the vents on my Traeger? If anyone owns this same grill, you will know that there are 2 gaping vents on the back of the barrel and i'm wondering if closing one up somehow might help.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks

You may have issues closing up your unit. I would get whatever Todd @a-maze-n products recommends.

Thanks guys. I've got an Amazing tube on the way so I'll give that a shot and see if it helps.

Everyones preference for the amount of smoke flavor is different. Saying the answer to everyones lack of smoke flavor is to get a rec-tec is crazy. Head over to pelletheads.com and you'll find rec-tec owners have complained about the lack of smoke flavor.
I'm a regular over at pellet heads.  But one thing is for sure, the Rec-Tec has tons more smoke generation that Tragers and certainly more than a MES, even with the AMPTS.  (BTW, I've had both)

I'm a regular over at pellet heads.  But one thing is for sure, the Rec-Tec has tons more smoke generation that Tragers and certainly more than a MES, even with the AMPTS.  (BTW, I've had both)

As am I. I've had many fantastic meals from GMG, Traeger, and rec-tec, and a couple others. And there's no clear winner at producing smoke flavor over the others. Same pellets, as we went in on a ton of lumberjack pellets. All of us now use a A-Maz-N tube.

After all, were here to learn and to help others, telling someone looking for help with their current setup to go buy brand "x" is the answer, isn't overly helpfully.

As am I. I've had many fantastic meals from GMG, Traeger, and rec-tec, and a couple others. And there's no clear winner at producing smoke flavor over the others. Same pellets, as we went in on a ton of lumberjack pellets. All of us now use a A-Maz-N tube.

After all, were here to learn and to help others, telling someone looking for help with their current setup to go buy brand "x" is the answer, isn't overly helpfully.
I can understand that, but having fought with other setups with a lot of failure, I thought I'd share what worked for me.  No harm intended.

I've read a lot of similar complaints and will add that "smoke flavor" is an individual thing. I have a Texas Elite 22 Pro and all of my kids (4 with 3 son-in-laws) and 12 grand kids love the meats off of my Traeger and my son -in-law's Traeger, but we all prefer a "light" smoke flavor.

Now about those "vents" from the info I've read on 3 different forums, messing with those vents could cause more problems than you want to deal with. The smoke from a 'starved" fire causes a bitter bark. Trust me (from personal experience) a light smoke flavor is a lot more preferable then bitter meat.

Hey guys,

So I used to use a basic el cheapo brinkman smoker box. I got tired of it and upgraded to a Traeger Junior Elite 20. I really liked my first cook on it last week but my food was no where near as smokey. I've noticed that once the traeger is up to temp, smoke stops. I know that's how this grill works and others have the same issue. I've done some research and just ordered an Amazing tube to try to get more smokey flavor. 

Should I find a way to close up some of the vents on my Traeger? If anyone owns this same grill, you will know that there are 2 gaping vents on the back of the barrel and i'm wondering if closing one up somehow might help.

Thanks

Hey guys,

Thanks

The pellet smokers offer convenience. If you wanted wood and hours of tending and huge variability, go basic. That said......
I have a Traeger and am happy with it. Be sure to let it sit on the Smoke setting to establish heat for 15-20 minutes, not the4-5 that they recommend. Then realize that the " smoke" is variable and the heat s true bags do not match the heat delivered. Deal with it. The sensor is not perfect. The odd part is that you see smoke for a while then it disappears and the temp changes. Then it cycles back. It is what it is.

I love mine and I have owned more basic standard smokers before. I smoke fish and ribs and pork shoulders. No turkey or brisket yet. Revel in the convenience. The smoke is adequate if not tremendous.

I have been using my Traeger for a few months now and it's grown on me. It always produces good food and is very convenient because I don't have to sit outside and tend to a fire pit all day. I wasn't impressed at first because I wasn't getting as much smoke flavor as I was getting by cooking over charcoal. I still use my old charcoal smoker from time to time when I want something extra smokey.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky