New to the smoke game

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mbrown

Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
so I finally broke down and got into the smoking world. Proud new owner of the pit boss blue blazing 3 series (electric). My first smoke will be this weekend. I’m going to try and smoke a butt. From what I’ve read they seem to be the introductory meat to the smoke world.

North Mississippi boy, born and raised. I work in the lumber business. Served my country for 8 years. Now I fish tournaments and give my little girl a role model.

Anybody want to walk me through the process on this butt?! Going to buy a 5 or 6 pounder. Wood will be cherry and oak.

Super excited I was introduced to this forum.

Hello! Nice to meat you....;)
There's lots of great info on Pork Butts that you can find using the search feature in the menu, different methods and preparations to try. You'll find more than I can tell you.

Good places to start,
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/boston-butt-pulled-pork-step-by-step.140055/
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...ith-judys-pretzel-buns-thanks-mossymo.253165/

- 2 good finishing sauce recipes,
Post #10
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/first-smoke-advice.275127/#post-1826026
Post #5
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...ing-up-is-it-ok-in-a-pan.277217/#post-1849149

Because it's more convenient or many smoker temp mechanisms are faulty, many people recommend you get a digital thermometer with a probe to monitor the smoker temperature and a probe to monitor meat internal temperature (you can buy them with more probes for more meat) that will alert you if either one gets too high or too low. For example,

Simplest breakdown:
  • Rub with mustard
  • Rub with rub
  • Put in smoker at 225℉
  • Put meat probe in center of butt and so the tip is approx in the center, halfway through the meat. Not touching the bone.
  • Put drip pan on shelf below
  • At 160℉ IT (Internal Temperature) wrap in 2 layers thick foil or put in pan with 1/2to1cup apple juice and cover with foil (no smoke needed while foiled). Some people don't wrap and push through the stall (period where fat breaks down and IT doesn't rise or rise much for hours). Wrapping is often referred to as "texas crutch," as in using a crutch to get through the cook faster. All really depends on getting the results you like. ;)
  • Put meat probe back in center through foil
  • Pull (out of smoker) at 205℉ IT, bone pulls out very easily with no resistance (some pull at 190℉)
  • Wrap in double layers of foil and a towel, put in cooler with towels filling empty space for at least an hour. Resting for 2 or 3 is even better.
  • While meat is resting, put collected pan juices in fridge for fat to rise to top, skim that off and throw it in trash, if using juices.
  • Before getting pork out of cooler, skim fat and heat juices to use as or in finishing sauce, if using.
  • Shred the butt, add some juices plus sprinkle with your rub, or use your finishing sauce. Chicken broth, butter, and some rub work too.
  • Add bbq sauce to sandwiches, if using.

I'm always learning too but happy to help with any questions I can answer.
And, thank you for your service!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mbrown
Welcome to the forum. There are more opinions and processes here on how to smoke a butt. Best advice I can give you is to keep it simple the first time. Search the site - find something that appeals to you and give it a go.

Let us know how it turns out.

Chris

Welcome to SMF from Indiana! Yeah Boston butts are a good starter smoke. They are big and are pretty forgiving if you have temperature swings, and have enough fat on them to keep from drying out. There are a lot of methods to smoking a BB. Try something simple that sounds good to you. I’ve done them many different ways and they were all good. I say try it a few different ways until you find what suits you the most. Good luck, and take some pictures along the way. We like to see the Q view!

Welcome!!! As mentioned, you've made a good choice for your first smoke, and keep it simple is a great idea.
  1. Rub with mustard
  2. Season with Jeff's rub (great stuff)
  3. Cook at 225 to 250 till done (around 200 IT but let the meat tell you when it's done, not the thermometer).
Doesn't get much simpler than that. There are tons of other simple methods and processes for a butt, find one that piques your interest and give it a go.

And don't forget to tell us how it went.

The guys have got you covered. Just keep that temp consistent and don't open your smoker to look. Just let it ride until you hit your temp to wrap if you are going to do that. Or ride it to about 195 or so and then start checking with a probe to see if the meat is tender. You poke the probe in and it should feel like you were sticking that probe into a warm stick of butter. It's pretty much that easy. Once it gets to that tenderness you are good to go. Pull it off the smoker and wrap it in foil. Let it rest for at least an hour and then you will be ready to pull that bad boy. Good luck to you.

George

Appreciate all the help guys. I’ll be putting it on Saturday morning around 0600. I should be off work somewhere around 1200. I’ve decided to not wrap it initially and let it get a good bark. I’ll update with pics soon.

Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
Did you decide what temp you're going to smoke at?

225℉ is the traditional (and competition) smoking temp, but plenty of people smoke at 280℉, get it done faster and don't see much or any difference. In Smokinal's post https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...ith-judys-pretzel-buns-thanks-mossymo.253165/ , he got an 8 pound butt done in 10 hours at 280℉ smoker temp. But, he also panned and foiled for the last hour to speed it up a bit more to eat sooner on that particular smoke, which softens the bark some.

Up and running around 255. It’s been on since 0500. I’ll probably pull and wrap around 1230 to help through the stall. IT is at 91.

Update... 6 hours in and the IT is at 159. Unwrapped.. hoping everything is clicking like it should be

Update... 6 hours in and the IT is at 159. Unwrapped.. hoping everything is clicking like it should be
That's about right..you've hit the stall. It'll sit in that heat range for a few hours then start climbing. When it hits 205f it should be done. If it's a bone in..if the bone seems like it'll come out just being jiggled a bit..it's done at 205f. Boneless is about the same.

You probably got another 6 hours to go at least. I'd err on the side of 8 hours. I've taken to doing pork butts and briskets overnight with my electric because of this. Short of falling asleep and not waking up for 12 hours, you pretty much can't mess up a pork butt if you bring it to a good IT of 205f.

Pulled and wrapped about 10 hours in. Let it cook that way for 2 hours. When my IT hit 195 I wrapped the butt in towels and put in a cooler for almost 2 hours to rest. Final IT before eating was 203. The bone slid out with ease. Pretty damn proud of myself ha! This was the first but definitely won’t be the last.

Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
Congratulations! That's fantastic! It is an art, something most people don't do, and it's something to be proud of... and we get to eat our unique masterpieces!

Whatever you have up next, be sure to do a post on it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky