new to the forums, new to smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

esacjack

Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Austin, Texas
Hey guys, I've been lurking around the forums, sponging up info.  For Christmas, I gave myself the gift that keeps on giving, and taking... A Brinkmann Smoke-N-Grill.  For 39 dollars, I figured if it was junk, it'd make a nice trash can.  A couple of failed attempts at smoking later, and I've been scouring the forums for tidbits of info to lead me in the right direction.  

When I'm not smoking meats (these days) I am a Network Engineer.  I build, secure, and manage networks on a series of platforms for a multitude of users. Also in my spare time, I like to fly RC Heli's and RC Planes.  (My dremmel has already come in handy in my new smokey hobby... )  I'm originally from South Texas, but have lived in Austin, Texas for the last 12 years. I'm a huge BBQ fanatic, as a matter of fact, one of my 'dating' criteria, is an absolute YES to smoked meats..  Vegetarians, please enjoy your tofu and black bean curd.... blech.  

I grew up in the Boy Scouts, and made it to Eagle at an early age.  I spent a lot of this time cooking over an open flame, and cooking in dutch ovens.  As I progressed in life, I took up long distance backpacking, and was always cooking over open flame as well.  Even before I purchased my first REAL smoker, I owned several old smokeys, and I could dish out some delicious fajitas and burgers.  The flavor of meat cooked over smoke and flame, theres just nothing like it.   No tofu seasoning on the planet could ever compare..

I've pushed about 4 full smokers of meat onto the table since Christmas, snatching up ever chance to smoke I can.  ( Hell, I even called in sick one day to work on my rub.... ) Im actually about to post my first QView.  My latest adventure yielded multiple racks of pork spare ribs, a small brisket, two pork loins, and a few links of bison/venison sausage my friend gave me.  Thanks for all the information you guys have collected over the years.  It's good to know there are people who love the Q as much as I do....(that could be a country hit single!)

Gary

Sounds like you'll fit right in here.
beercheer.gif

Welcome Gary!

You'll find lots of really nice folk and plenty of helpful advice around here... not to mention some great recipes and tips and techniques.

There's definitely a learning curve on the Smoke-N-Grill, but once you master it, you will be able to make just about anything you want.

Just keep at it, and use the forum here for advice and feedback.

-Steven

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Welcome to SMF Gary. There are a lot of very friendly & knowledgeable folks here to help you. I urge you to sign up for the free E-course. It will give you the basics. Then start asking questions. Good luck & glad to have you aboard.

Gary,

Glad to see you finally crossed over to the member side.. sure glad to have you here and I'm personally looking forward to that qview. Welcome!!

Hey Gary welcome to SMF from another Gary. Glad to have you here  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky