New to smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm stalled at 177 degrees. I. Cooking on a pit boss pellet grill set temp is 225. The meat looks great, I'm spritzing every hour. Should I turn up the heat.

You can either turn the heat up as boykjo said or you can foil it. Foiling it will soften the bark, but will speed up the cooking process. Third you can do both. Good luck on your first smoked butt.

Chris

Reactions: Slinky
You can either turn the heat up as boykjo said or you can foil it. Foiling it will soften the bark, but will speed up the cooking process. Third you can do both. Good luck on your first smoked butt.

Chris

Chris

Turned up heat to 250, temp is starting to climb now. Coming up on the nine hour mark in 20 minutes, I'm guessing it will make 195 by ten hour mark. It was 8.18 pound raw. Thanks for the help, slinky (from indiana)

Start probing at 195 and when probe goes on and through like a hot knife through butter it's done.

use your temps to know when it's close and your probe to tell when it's done and that could be anyplace between 195 and 210. You can crank the heat up like others suggested but if you foil you mighty was well move to the oven to finish.

Because once you foil you are getting no more smoke and wasting pellets. I never wrap and always let them ride and if you crank and it is done early you can always hold in the oven if needed.

Yes, I'm shooting for a nice bark so I don't really want to foil, just gonna ride it out, I'm at 190 now. I started at midnite and was shooting for 2 so I think I'll make that even with the rest period. Really appreciate everyone's help!

Ok I got to 197 and was about to pull but decided to probe some other spots to make sure and now all I can get is 179. Don't know if I should go with the reading I had before I moved the probe or the new readings. Both can't be right

Did you probe near the bone(possibly hit the bone)? Or you may be probing at different depth's. Try to shoot for the middle of the butt, away from the bone if you have a bone.

Chris

when i say probe it after 195 that is more for tenderness than temp. It might drop some because you have the cooker open as well. If you have the temp probe in the biggest part of it then the rest of the thinner/smaller areas should be that or more

Probed several places all were tender, got readings anywhere from 185 to 210 so I finally pulled it. Got it resting in the cooler now.. gonna let it rest couple hours and shred it. I'll know soon enough now! Thanks everyone, I'll let you know how it turned out. Incidentally, I used three parts mollassas, I part Dijon mustard to cover it, then rubbed in famous Dave's RIB rub

Mostly fell right off bone, shredded pretty easy. One little tough spot on top, I just left that part out. Overall very happy!

texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good morning and welcome to the forum from a beautiful day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Good advice above

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky