New to smoking! Preparing for a Turkey Day smoke.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xxjoeyxxeb

Original poster
Nov 4, 2019
Hi All,

My wife had the idea to smoke a turkey for this Thanksgiving. I bought a Camp Chef DLX24 and will hopefully run a test smoke on a chicken breast next weekend. I've purchased a bunch of tools, ie Shears, Bear Claws, Jeff's book, meat injector, ThermoPro TP20 & TP18, Apple Camp Chef Pellets, and a cover. Probably will buy some welding blankets since it'll be getting cold in Boston. I've been reading a lot and just wanted to check my initial thoughts are correct. I've also read through the Camp Chef Guide to the Perfect Turkey, https://www.campchef.com/blog/your-guide-to-the-perfect-turkey/ . We aren't sure yet if we will do a full turkey or just the breast, but it'll be for about 10 people.

1) Some instructions I have read mentioned using water and soaking the wood. Just for clarification, that's when using a charcoal or real wood vertical style smoker, correct? Since I'm using the small pellet horizontal smoker, its basically just set the temp and let the pellets burn, correct?

2) 325degF a good temp to set it for the entire process?

3) I will do a brine to a fully thawed turkey over night.

4) As for final temperature and when to remove: I have seen a few different temps to remove and cover with foil. 150-165degF. Whats a good idea and best way to remove and cover? Put into a large metal pan and cover with foil?

5) I can just put the turkey on the rack with nothing below it to catch any dripping and be safe right? Is that the preferred way or not? Should I coat the grates with anything?

6) How often to inject the turkey? Is it a one time thing, or repetitive? Does the brine time affect injecting, ie don't do both or don't do both too much?

Thank you all. Trying to get as much detail as possible because my testing time will be limited.

-Joe

Hi All,

My wife had the idea to smoke a turkey for this Thanksgiving. I bought a Camp Chef DLX24 and will hopefully run a test smoke on a chicken breast next weekend. I've purchased a bunch of tools, ie Shears, Bear Claws, Jeff's book, meat injector, ThermoPro TP20 & TP18, Apple Camp Chef Pellets, and a cover. Probably will buy some welding blankets since it'll be getting cold in Boston. I've been reading a lot and just wanted to check my initial thoughts are correct. I've also read through the Camp Chef Guide to the Perfect Turkey, https://www.campchef.com/blog/your-guide-to-the-perfect-turkey/ . We aren't sure yet if we will do a full turkey or just the breast, but it'll be for about 10 people.
Man after my own heart jumping in with both feet!! That's a lot of good tools

1) Some instructions I have read mentioned using water and soaking the wood. Just for clarification, that's when using a charcoal or real wood vertical style smoker, correct? Since I'm using the small pellet horizontal smoker, its basically just set the temp and let the pellets burn, correct?
Correct no need for either in your pellet cooker. Also if you ever use a different type cooker calling for wood chips or chunks I would recommend not soaking them. Plenty of science suggests it does nothing beneficial.

2) 325degF a good temp to set it for the entire process?
I don't know your cooker that well. If you want a smokier flavor profile perhaps go at 225F for a few hours and then crank it up to 325 until you hit finish temp. That may give you a little longer smoke exposure and still get that skin crisped up at the end. I am sure some others who run pellets will chime in here with help.

3) I will do a brine to a fully thawed turkey over night.
Depending on where you get your turkey it may already have saline solution injected. Unlike many instead of brine I chose to inject. I inject with a butter , broth , spice mixture I whip up. Have done many in the past just using Tony Chechere Creole butter injections. People love it. Rub a good rub on the outside of the bird and up under the skin too.

4) As for final temperature and when to remove: I have seen a few different temps to remove and cover with foil. 150-165degF. Whats a good idea and best way to remove and cover? Put into a large metal pan and cover with foil?
One of the challenges I find with turkey is the temp you want the breast vs. the drums. I do end up pulling mine at around 160F and tenting for a few minutes to let it come up to 165F. I have heard others say that drumsticks are better up around 180F. Some people break the bird down for this reason.
5) I can just put the turkey on the rack with nothing below it to catch any dripping and be safe right? Is that the preferred way or not? Should I coat the grates with anything?
Don't see why not. I always hit my grates in the smoker with a little cooking spray so it doesn't stick.

6) How often to inject the turkey? Is it a one time thing, or repetitive? Does the brine time affect injecting, ie don't do both or don't do both too much?
I don't do both but some do. Injecting is a one time thing.

Thank you all. Trying to get as much detail as possible because my testing time will be limited.

-Joe

Answers above in red.

Last edited:
Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
Jcam222, thank you so much for pin point answers! I will research some more on the temps and brine/vs inject.

Reactions: jcam222
I agree with everything jcam222 jcam222 pointed out. If you dont have any diehard dark meat lovers that will be eating i would just do breasts for your first cook. That way you only have one part of the bird to worry about perfect temperature on. I allways take breasts to 150° IT. Then place in a foil pan coverd with foil and wrapped in a blanket. Then it can go into a cooler until its time to slice. This will keep it warm for a very long time. This way you can plan for an early finish time . Also dont expect perfect crispy skin like a deep fried turkey. Crispy skin is not an easy task on the smoker.

Reactions: jcam222
We have decided on a Breast only and I think we will Brine and rub per Jcam222. Need to find a brine mix and bag/container for soaking. We will do a low temp smoke for an hour, then ramp it up to about 325-350 for the rest.

Reactions: jcam222 and Sowsage
We have decided on a Breast only and I think we will Brine and rub per Jcam222. Need to find a brine mix and bag/container for soaking. We will do a low temp smoke for an hour, then ramp it up to about 325-350 for the rest.
Sounds like a solid plan! Keep a close eye on the temp when you get to about 135° the last 15° can sometimes go really fast. Dont want to over shoot your target temp!

Jcam222, thank you so much for pin point answers! I will research some more on the temps and brine/vs inject.
Anytime! If you have more questions let us know. I do highly recommend a nice injection like the Chachere if you want some extra flavor. For brine search here for Slaughterhouse brine. I think it’s a good one for all poultry.

Sounds like you have done your research!
Please let us know how it turns out, with photo's of course!
Al

Thank you all. I am sure I'll come up with more questions beforehand. And I will absolutely post updates.

Hi all,
I did a 6 lb Whole Chicken with awardwinning dry rub of googled, let sit about 30 minutes before. Tied legs together with rope/twine.
Turned grill to high smoke at 1:05pm.
Chicken on at 1:20pm.
Forgot to put tin foil on drip tray, rookie mistake.
Turned up to 350degF at 2:50pm, internal temp was 88degF.
Took off at about 4:50pm, remote temp said 161 but a few spots checks said 166-169, and let sit for 15 mins. Chicken was moist and flavorful. Skin had a great flavor and the outside was crispy bit once in the mouth, it wasn't easy to break while chewing and sort of balled up. Very pleased with first cook!

Now for Thanksgiving, we got an 11lb turkey thawing in the fridge now and will brine Wednesday night. I want crispier skin, should I butter under and above the skin and use the dry rub? Also, should I skip the 220deg high smoke setting and just go straight to 350, or keep an hour at the high smoke? Are there any good time charts or time per pound per degree smoked at, out there for quick references to smoking times at different temperatures? Trying to calculate a turkey to be done between 2-2:30om.

Attachments

• IMG_20191123_132407.jpg
    IMG_20191123_132407.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20191123_170723.jpg
    IMG_20191123_170723.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 3
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky