New to smokin!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CobbWjr

Original poster
Feb 26, 2020
So I just got a Oklahoma joe longhorn grill today and tried smoking meat for the first time! Everything went ok but the meat had a real heavy smoke taste to it? Any tips I might have missed

Attachments

• 3FB43BD0-75EA-47E2-AC47-E97B67CC4058.jpeg
    3FB43BD0-75EA-47E2-AC47-E97B67CC4058.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 32
Well a picture is certainly worth a thousand words. If that's the fire that was going while the food was in there, there's your problem. You want to try to achieve thin blue smoke (TBS) in an offset cooker, otherwise you'll create harsh and bitter flavors. The smoke should be barely visible, not that thick grey smoke. Getting there will take some practice, so be sure to ask if you have any questions.
And welcome aboard.

Welcome from Iowa. If you just got your new smoker today did you season it? Or do a pre burn in it with no meat to burn off any oils that might have been on it? Looks like alot of smoke coming from the entire smoker

Ryan

Reactions: negolien
Welcome to the forum and the world of smoking stuff. This is the only hobby where you can eat your mistakes!!

Looks like a lot of smoke coming out of your new smoker (congratulations by the way). It will take a bit of practice, but as bregent mentioned, you want to shoot for a thin, blue smoke. How long after you started the fire did you put your meat on?

Reactions: negolien
Yup I noticed when I first got mine took a while to settle in after seasoning and burn in too. I also notice that it takes a while to settle in after first getting to temp.

Welcome from Gilbert, AZ, you landed in a great spot! You need some video help on how to manage heat control on your beautiful new offset. When adding a new split to the firebox you want to keep the firebox door open at least a couple of inches until the split catches fire good. If you just toss on some wood and close the door the wood will smolder before catching, that's where that white smoke comes from, and white smoke is what's making your meat not taste so good. I just about always have the firebox door on my SQ36 opened up at least just a crack, sometimes an inch or two, depending on how big my fire is, until I establish the desired temp then try to regulate heat with the side vents on the firebox door. A also like to leave the stack wide open, you never want to close the stack cover more than half way when cooking. Here's a couple of YouTube videos to check out, hard to go wrong learning from Aaron Franklin, good luck! RAY

Well a picture is certainly worth a thousand words. If that's the fire that was going while the food was in there, there's your problem. You want to try to achieve thin blue smoke (TBS) in an offset cooker, otherwise you'll create harsh and bitter flavors. The smoke should be barely visible, not that thick grey smoke. Getting there will take some practice, so be sure to ask if you have any questions.
And welcome aboard.

welcome from pa, the other folks have you covered, takes a little practice but you'll get there.

Hello, and a Big Ole Howdy from East Texas

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky