New to curing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cluckinchicken6

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
Texas
I have cured and smoked a few thing successfully such as pops bacon buck board hams and bacon as well as dry curing pastrami. I have used tq as well well as #1 on a lot of meats. I have noticed that after the cure when I smoke meats the edges get cooked uneven and I was wondering if I tied using butchers twine before I add cure would help the meat to cure and cook more even. I recently tied after I cured and it seemed to help get a more even cook but I am still not sure about tying before curing meats I mostly dry cure with vacuum seals bags any advice would be helpful thanks

Tying definitely helps even cooking and even though you can tie before the use of cure #1 or TQ, I see no great advantage. Tying won't speed up the cure process...JJ

10-4 jimmy yea i have a 14 day on 7 days off schedule so it leaves me with the perfect amount of time to go cure bacon and buck board hams I was wondering if tying had a negative effect on drycuriing meats using #1 or tq I usually leave everything in for the entire 14 days because I have little to no time to do anything with it while I'm working. But I was thinking a more cylindrical finished product would make for more even slicing, and I could fit more on a sandwich evenly

Last edited:
Tying for a uniform shape and a pretty sliced presentation is common. Before or after curing is up to you. The string will not affect the cure penetration...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky