New to building

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boozzer

Original poster
May 27, 2010
Nebraska
New to building a smoker. I have been wanting to do this for some time now and have been doing some research and finding the materials to do so. I have finally came up with a frame. it is an old tow behind air compressor. This is step one I will be posting Pics on the progress. I am not in a hurry to get this done so it might take awhile any suggestions to where to put the box, air flow design, and reinforcing the steel itself are all welcome. I am excited to start this project and looking forward to you suggestions.

e8d41a78_2010-05-27%2014.30.44.jpg
dcb922e5_2010-05-27%2014.30.27.jpg

First make sure to introduce yourself in roll call so that we can give you a proper welcome.

That looks like that will be a great start on your new smoker. 

If you have any specific questions please ask sooner or later someone will come along who is a bit of an expert in that area.

Welcome aboard

cool.gif

Now thats gonna make a really cool looking smoker for sure. So make sure and keep as abreast of your progress on your new build.

Give us a couple shots of the inside so we can get a better idea on design needs.  Also some measurements. 

Thats a great find.

You sure came to the right place! I can build a mean sandwich, but that's about it! I am really looking forward to seeing the progress you make, please keep us posted!

Its been a year and after the long summer and cold cold winter I have dragged the smoker errr compressor out of the garage and started to put my mind to work after modification after modification after modification (wait I said that already) I have come up with a final plan here are some pdfs of what it will look like when I'm done I hope. I have a friend that is a fabrication manager at a local manufacturing warehouse that is volunteering his time to help weld this baby together. We will be starting build in about a week after all the steel comes in from the distributor. more pictures to come

PS I am no artist
1a934ada_Smoke2.jpg
7f2f4c18_Smoke3.jpg
9b097dc0_Smoke1.jpg

Awesome deal man.

Do you know the damage to the wallet from the steel order?
Prices are totally crazy these days.

OK new question was original going to do my firebox and smoke box out of 1/4" plate steel. due to the pricing as Tom has mentioned. I am reconsidered. with the help of friends i am around $300.00 for a 4x8 sheet of 1/4 . Now my question is. would there be any harm in using 1/8 steel to make my trailer lighter and the cost is 100 less per sheet. will it withstand the heat without warping?

Right now I am looking at a total cost for the smoker including new tires and other accessories is around $800.00 if i go with 1/4" or $600 if i use 1/8"

Thoughts!!!

I really wouldn't go with 1/8" on the fire box if at all possible.  If you really have to keep the cost down, 3/16" would be better, but honestly, for as big as this is I think you should stick with 1/4".  Yeah, it sucks that it will cost $200 more, but in the long run you are gonna be happier.  Think about how much 1/8" is gonna warp over time and how much of a PITA it's gonna be to cut it off and rebuild it in a few years, and who knows how much steel will cost then.  $200 more now is gonna save you a lot of time and money down the road and probably a lot of remorse.  Just my opinion.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky