New to BBQ/Jerky Making in the City, any tips/tricks appreciated!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CrazedOccultist

Original poster
Jan 20, 2022
Texas
Hello!

I'm fairly new to Smoking/Curing Meat with a limited arsenal of tools in the kitchen(I only have a small propane grill, an oven and a food dehydrator), I joined the forum to mainly learn about new Jerky Marinades/easy pan/oven recipes.

Let me know if you have any advice/tips!

~Crazed

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome from Virginia! Sorry, there has been a lot of great threads lately and this one slipped through! indaswamp indaswamp is a great reference for Curing meats, if you search his threads there will be a lot of info, but there are a lot of great people here with a wealth of knowledge that will help guide you along too.

Everyone is very visual here and open ended or broad questions are a little more difficult to answer. I'd recommend focusing in on one thing that you want to try, explain what you want to do, take some pictures to show your set up, then focus in on a few questions that you have about that process (ratios of cure per pound, etc). Once that is completed post up the pictures and let everyone know what you thought! Then move on to the next! You'll get a lot of great support and will likely find yourself addicted and wanting to push the limits each time . . . and buy more equipment!

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing your work!

Hello!

I'm fairly new to Smoking/Curing Meat with a limited arsenal of tools in the kitchen(I only have a small propane grill, an oven and a food dehydrator), I joined the forum to mainly learn about new Jerky Marinades/easy pan/oven recipes.

Let me know if you have any advice/tips!

~Crazed

You have a dehydrator. Thats a jerky start. You will need some cure #1 even with the dehydrator use.
Lots of good jerky making kits out there. If you have a Cabelas, Bass Pro, Academy sports they all have jerky making kits as well as online stores.

Like stated inda is the one to go to for the heavy into the cure stuff, I just mix it and make it without all the meters and such.

Reactions: zwiller and chopsaw
Welcome from Colorado.
This web site, SMF, is one of the best tools you can have. The interaction of skilled and knowledgeable members here as well as the archives in the search function provide all the knowledge you could ask for.

Aside from that, invest in a smoking tube to use in your gas grill. That will up your game fast.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky