New Smoker Saying Hello

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

muskokaflip

Original poster
Sep 12, 2017
Muskoka, Ontario, Canada
Hello to everyone on SMF!  Real name is Geoff.  I live in cottage country, about 3 hrs north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada 
canada-flag-68.gif

I'm fairly new to smoking but I grill often, either over an open fire pit or mainly on my propane BBQ.

Over the past 2 yrs I've actually been attending classes on Saturdays in Toronto, taking culinary classes of different varieties.  One of which was Charcuterie where I learned how to make my own cure and smoke pork belly for bacon.  From then on, I was hooked.  Last year I used my propane grill for a make-shift smoker and made my 1st batch of bacon.  Turned out amazing and I knew I had to invest in a better smoking system.

In the winter I met a metal fabricator who hooked me up with a double propane tank system which was in the beginning stage of becoming a smoker (tanks were welded together and doors hinged).  I jumped on it, bought metal from him to do the trailer, grills, etc. and began constructing it in the spring.  I just finished it last weekend (would have been faster if our summer weather was better).  Unfortunately, at the time of purchasing it, I hadn't researched smokers yet and didn't know about "reverse flow" systems.  If I had, I would have done things differently.  For now, this set up will have to suffice.  I made the entire tongue removable so that when I use it in my back yard (primarily where I'll use it), I don't have to walk around it and risk hitting my shins/legs.  If I decide to tow it somewhere, I can easily connect the tongue.  Made it a slide-in & pin, similar to how the trailer hitch works. Please look past my welds as I'm by no means an expert welder.  My plan is to eventually replace the hinges, but for now, I just want to get smoking!  
grilling_smilie.gif
  Still have to fit it with lights and attach the fenders.

I fired it up last weekend and it actually worked great!  Up to smoking temp in minutes and retained temp easily.  Even after the fire died and it was just coals remaining.

Looking forward to learning from all of you on here!   Cheers for all the great info I have come across so far!
Beer.gif

Reactions: noboundaries
Geoff, welcome to SMF!  Glad you're here and almost finished with one impressive looking smoker! 
points1.png
 to you!  Looking forward to seeing all the goodies that beautiful beast creates.

Enjoy the forum!

Ray

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum from a nice warm day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web.   Lots of               great people with tons of information on just about everything.

NICE !!

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky