1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

New smoker and first cook

Discussion in 'Pork' started by TomCrump, Sep 13, 2019.

1. My wife surprised me with a 22" Weber Smokey Mountain. Even though it was raining this morning, I decided that today was the day for the inaugural cook.

A 7 pound pork butt was selected as the Guinea Pig.

The WSM performed well, especially for the first time out.

My hope is that this smoker will serve as my Winter smoker, as snow will block access to my stick burner.

Attached Files:

gmc2003, smokerjim and Winterrider like this.
  2. Winterrider

Winterrider Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Got a good wife Tom. Looks like a very relaxing spot to do some fine smoke'n. 1st plate is a winner.

3. smokerjim

smokerjim Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

nice, congrats on the smoker, she's a keeper, your wife that is

4. Thanks !

My wife supports my cooking endeavors, probably because she doesn't like to cook. LOL

Thanks for the comments on our deck, too. Yes, it is a relaxing spot. We spend most of our warm weather time out there.

While eating dinner, tonight, a chickadee landed on my chair. I guess that it wanted a taste of pulled pork. LOL

5. Thanks, Jim. I'm surprised that my wife has kept me. LOL

6. noboundaries

noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great wife and smoker! Nice addition to the gazebo.

BTW, my wife bought me grills and my WSM, too. It took me 30 years to figure out she wanted me to do all the cooking. And I don't mind at all. Making Cubano sandwiches tonight with pulled pork I smoked a couple weeks ago.

7. Thanks !

That gazebo is for enjoying nature, and for watching football. I used it, this time, to get the WSM out of the rain while I was cooking.

It's kinda ironic that I do have a smoking gazebo. We assembled it yesterday. A day too late.

Yes. My wife came up with the gazebo, too. She found it on clearance at Sam's Club.

My wife really doesn't like to cook. LOL

8. gmc2003

gmc2003 Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member

Nice looking first cook, and the WSM doesn't care about seasons.

Point for sure
    Chris

9. Nice looking first cook, and the WSM doesn't care about seasons.

Thanks. I've been wondering about how well the WSM will perform in cold weather. Some say that it will do well. Others have said that it requires an additional exhaust damper for better air flow.

10. gmc2003

gmc2003 Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member

Can't say I've ever heard of needing an additional exhaust damper. I live in a cold climate and haven't experienced any issues.

Chris

11. Thanks, Chris.

I'll try the WSM in cold weather before I make any modifications. You probably saved me from doing some unneeded work.