New smoker and can't get a smoker ring

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BlakeCH47

Original poster
May 25, 2020
Hello all, I am new to the forum, but I have been smoking a while. I just purchased a smoker that was used, but in fantastic condition. I have had a few pellet smokers, and a Good-One Open Range. I just purchased the Humphrey's Battle Box. I have smoked a few things in it so far. The flavor and quality of the meat is fantastic, but I cannot get a smoke ring to save my life. I have smoked two brisket points and a flat. It basically had zero smoke ring. Again, I'm not disappointed with the flavor and that is most important, but would like the smoke ring for presentation purposes. The style of the smoker is a water pan over the charcoal/wood box, then the smoking racks above the water pan. The bark has been a really nice color, so I was very surprised to cut in to it and see no ring. Appreciate any advice to get that ring to go with the great taste.

Welcome Blake! You say you've got a nice bark and good color, and are happy with the flavor. Rings are just a look, doesn't add or detract a thing, more dependent on what kind of smoke you're using. RAY

Hi and welcom to SMF.

First off, that is a darn nice smoker.
Secondly, how's your oxygen levels in there?
If the wood is just smoldering, that will affect smoke ring formation as you may not be getting the correct levels of nitric oxide and carbon monoxide.
Also, are you using lump or briquettes?

I use a BBQ Guru, for this cook I did it at 250 for about 6 hours, then wrapped the flat and put the point in a pan with some broth and covered. The bark was not black but a very nice mahogany color. I used oak for this cook. A cook I did in my Good-One a few weeks back the smoke ring was insane. There was minimal moisture in that smoker. I can't speak directly to the oxygen levels but the guru just blows air to maintain temps. I used mostly regular briquettes and some scrap lump stuff that I had left in a bag. I used Oak wood chunks purchased from a local store.

As far as the ring not mattering, I agree for the most part. It is more of a pride thing. The flavor, moistness, and tenderness were outstanding in the meat. I was more surprised than anything that there was essentially no ring.

Maybe try starting out at a lower temp and let the NO, CO, and myoglobin get a good fix on the meat.
As you've experienced, you dont need a smoke ring for good Q.
I know my electric will never produce a smoke ring, but it still turns out good Q.

Reactions: sawhorseray
I agree with the idea of going at a lower temperature for a longer period of time. I've had trouble getting a decent smoke ring using my GMG Daniel Boone, but Saturday I kept the temp on some beef at around 200°, and got a pretty good smoke ring this time. This was after only 6 hours of smoke. 20200524_175401.jpg 20200524_175117.jpg

Reactions: whistlepig
Pellet burners are about as far from an insulated cabinet as you can get. You'll get more smoke ring on a pellet burner than an IVC because the pellet burner uses more fuel and produces more combustion compounds. The insulated metal Kamados like the Akorn and BKK do the same thing as your battle box. Very fuel efficient and as a result don't put on much of a smoke ring. It's purely visual, since kamados can put some strong smoke flavor on meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky