New smokehouse ? porcelain tile inside

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chuckgrif

Original poster
Apr 10, 2016
I'm in the planning stages of my smokehouse and saw some recommendations to use hardie tile backer board inside. I have alot of tile left from a floor install the stuff that looks like wood planks does anybody think there would be any adverse reasons not to use it inside? Also what does everybody use for insulation. Im in pennsylvania so we do get cold here occasionaly.

Temperature swings would be my first concern. Thermal shock might cause the tiles to break.
Hardie Backer Board has fibers in it, makes it hold together, and stands up to temperature changes.
I'm not that concerned about insulation, myself. I'm more interested in smoking and cold smoking, than having an outdoor oven that can smoke.
Whatever is inside your smoker is going to get smoked, and generally turn black.
So maybe using the left over tile to make a nice floor for your outdoor kitchen would be a better, more interesting use for it?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky