New Smokehouse Build Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sihunter

Original poster
I have been lurking for some time and this is my first actual post.

I have a Masterbuilt 40" that I have used for a while with the Amazen tray and pellets but would like to build something larger and came up with the idea of building an Old time smokehouse/electric smoker combination. It would be a 2 room smokehouse so to speak. The reason for this is that I would like to have a larger room for cold smoking summer sausage for example that takes up quite a bit of space. The smaller room then would be used for "hot" smoking for ribs, pork butts, brisket, etc. and I would like to use reverse flow for this room (maybe reverse flow would be best in both rooms I don't know). My questions are many but I will start with just a few.

1. For the hot smoke room I'm thinking the dimensions would be something like 3' wide by 6' tall and 2-3' deep. Would I need some type of heating element to get this room to 275 or so. I am open to using any materials except brick probably as I am not a brick layer.
2. Would I need to divert the heat some how if I was only cold smoking in the large room? If so how could that be done.
3. I would like to put this smokehouse on a small trailer if possible, say something like a 4x8. Would this even be possible?
4. I would also like to have the option to smoke with 2 different smokes at the same time. Say wood in a firebox and pellets at the same time. Would this be as simple as just using a pellet tray in the room?

If you guys think there is a better way to go about this I am looking for any ideas that way as well.

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback and ideas. Greatly appreciated.

Been thinking of making one out of cinder block at my home stacks easy and has homes to fill void

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky