New Smoke Vault 24 is on the way!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

viskey

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
SD
Well im just waiting for it to show up! I can't wait to get started. Ive had my eye on the MES40 for a while but with all the electronic issues with those, i decided to go with this one and besides, i like how wide it is for doing full racks.

Here is what i have planned to do so far once i get it:

- Season it obviously

- Calibrate door thermometer

- Flatten lower damper tabs

- Seal door with high temp rtv silicone sealant (place around smoker edge, cover in saran wrap, close door overnight, remove wrap)

- Get a wireless meat thermometer

Should i use that same silicone to seal the back of the door therm os that moisture doesnt run down the door or what sealant should i use? i seen a thread on how to do it but cant find it anymore:(

Does anyone have any more tips/mods that i should do when i get it?

Thanks guys!

I love mine! Didnt do any mods....and not gonna! You will have a ball!

Kat

Last edited:
Thanks Kathryn! I've read a bunch of good reviews on the SV24:)

Thanks Aero! I believe the key to that is set the smoker to high than adjust it via the valve only?

What i did was to set the dial on the SV to the approx temp i was after and then fine tune with the needle valve.  Also you might want to get a model paint pen and mark where  Lo, Med, and high are on your dial.  There is a good possibility that over time the ink on the dial will weather/fade.

Well the Maverick ET-732 and the bayou needle valve kit are in the mail too:)

What a joke, amazon sent me the wrong bayou needle valve kit. They sent me the adjustable regulator instead. That is not what is in the description and pic

I didn't do any modding yet, either.  Measured the gauge and see that it's giving me 15 degrees too high of actual.  That's all I needed to know.  Seasoned it one day, had ribs going a couple days after that.  The smoke does leak around the door, but really I don't care.  I was able to set the temp in the 225-235 range and keep it there for hours while I sat in my office doing paperwork.  Aside from having to throw in the occasional bit of oak and pecan, gotta say, the only thing easier than this is baking.  I knocked out some pretty mean butts with a Weber/oven combo cook, so I don't want to knock the Weber kettle.  It's a workhorse and provides some of the best eating i've had.  But, when it comes to smoking, I can see myself getting really used to the smoke vault.

I've got the camp chef 24 and you can control the temp amazingly well, the stock valve is very touchy though..........I noticed you said you were going to flatten the tabs down, is that so you can close the vents more?

Ya, just to close the vents more since that seems pretty common around here:)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky