New mini smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BDubz

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 28, 2018
Phoenix
Here is my mini tailgater size smoker build. Took 3 days to get this far, need ideas for paint. Does high temp engine paint work? Or are we stuck with BBQ high temp only? Still have wheels to add and a firebox door latch. I had so much fun building another big sized smoker that I decided to do a mini camping version. My first smoker is a dual direct flow/reverse flow design. This mini build I decided to go direct flow smoker. What do you think? And what paint options do I have?
Message_1519771277574.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good! Nice work! Your FB will get hot, so higher the temp paint the better. The CC, obviously, not as hot. Rustolium makes high gloss bbq grill paint, can find it anywhere and works well. And if you get any chips/wear off over time, you can just repair and spray as needed.

Message_1519852915160.jpg

Here is my mini tailgater size smoker build. Took 3 days to get this far, need ideas for paint. Does high temp engine paint work? Or are we stuck with BBQ high temp only? Still have wheels to add and a firebox door latch. I had so much fun building another big sized smoker that I decided to do a mini camping version. My first smoker is a dual direct flow/reverse flow design. This mini build I decided to go direct flow smoker. What do you think? And what paint options do I have?
View attachment 355653
View attachment 355653
View attachment 355796
Message_1519852099449.jpg

Decided to just use BBQ black. What do you all think? I slathered the inside with bacon grease and burned a bunch of hickory through it today. Worked great, no leaks and intake/firebox vs. Exhaust size seemed very good. With the air intake and exhaust fully open it created a blast furnace type sound almost a low rumble whistle sound, easily adjusted for blue smoke, though. With the intake and exhaust fully open and just a few very small hickory chunks took no time to reach 350 degrees and with half intake slider opened it cooled down and stayed at 250 degrees. I plan on changing the foot pads out to accomodate heavy duty casters, two with brakes. Iam also pondering a lockin swivel mount to the tongue of my camper, so it can swivel out for cooking or swivel back in and locked in stowed position for travel, or....pulled off and rolled around campsite. I hope my new pics posted ok...Iam new to this forum and dont quite have it mastered yet on how to use it good yet. Anyways, Cheers, fellow Smokers! I'll post again when I smoke its maiden meal. Thinking of doing a small pork butt first, not quite sure yet.

Last edited:
Looks good! Nice work! Your FB will get hot, so higher the temp paint the better. The CC, obviously, not as hot. Rustolium makes high gloss bbq grill paint, can find it anywhere and works well. And if you get any chips/wear off over time, you can just repair and spray as needed.
Thanks, I thought about painting it a 50's era pea green, and cream two tone, but nah...ended up going with just BBQ black instead.

Nice job! Are you sure it’s stout enough? Might be a little iffy 10 generations from now. Haha

This might work for you:

Keep extra-hot exhaust manifolds, headers looking extra sleek with Rust-Oleum® Automotive High Heat Spray. This flat, protective enamel bonds to bare metal and withstands intermittent temperatures of up to 2000°F (1093°C).

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/specialty-paints/high-heat
Thank you, and yeah, I guess it is a little stout, but should last a few years. I ended up using BBQ high Temp Rustoleum. I was going to do a high temp 2 tone paint job but opted to go less frills. My first experience eating real BBQ was 3 years ago at Franklins in Austin, then at a buddy of mine in Marble falls and lakeway Texas, after that trip I was hooked. Came home and built a medium sized personal smoker the following weekend and never looked back.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
I know Right!?...when I was building it with the temp twisted iron legs I had on it, gave an old wood vintage ceramic stove feel, the kind you see refurbished at antique stores, but then I woke up! And reality settled in. Lol

Nice! I was contemplating building something like this out of a stainless beer keg a few years ago. This thread has resurrected that idea.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky