New Mini build..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sam3

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Byram Twp., New Jersey
Gotta hand it to you guys here posting pics of your builds as well as the tutorials. Very impressive.

I've seen Case's cooks at another forum and I decided to jump on the bandwagon myself.

Picked up a SJ Silver over the weekend and purchased the Vasconia pot, 18" grates, etc from Amazon. It all should be here within a week or so.

I'll keep bumping the thread with pics as I go.

Great news Sam.  It will be grate to watch your build. It's a fun project.

Please be sure to post the  unit in the thread for completed units as well!

Good luck and have a blast.

Brian

Thanks Brian. I have a 22.5 WSM, it's great for the long cooks. But it's just the wife and I, so the mini is more practically for quick meals during the week. It's also nice to have a smaller charcoal cooker when the Kettle is occupied too.

Welcome to the Mini ownership club Sam. It really is a great little smoker. It works good for larger longer cooks too. Just have to refill the charcoal every once in a while. I can get a bit over 8 hours on a low temp cook, with a thermal diffuser in it. You will want to make an ash guard and add the side vents. I played around without and then added each component one at a time. I did this to see how each component effected the performance. It wasn't until I added the final vent that everything fell into place.

When I am cooking in inclement weather I use a chunk of granite as a diffuser and for thermal mass. That helps with fuel consumption and temp swings. The steamer insert works great for hotter cooks, like chicken. Honestly if I'm doing a shorter cook like tri tip or a bottom round I usually wont use the granite, unless its really windy and the ambient temp is low. For this the reflectix insulation shield works good too.

Welcome to the Mini ownership club Sam. It really is a great little smoker. It works good for larger longer cooks too. Just have to refill the charcoal every once in a while. I can get a bit over 8 hours on a low temp cook, with a thermal diffuser in it. You will want to make an ash guard and add the side vents. I played around without and then added each component one at a time. I did this to see how each component effected the performance. It wasn't until I added the final vent that everything fell into place.

When I am cooking in inclement weather I use a chunk of granite as a diffuser and for thermal mass. That helps with fuel consumption and temp swings. The steamer insert works great for hotter cooks, like chicken. Honestly if I'm doing a shorter cook like tri tip or a bottom round I usually wont use the granite, unless its really windy and the ambient temp is low. For this the reflectix insulation shield works good too.
Thanks Case.

I'm sure I'll have some questions.
biggrin.gif

Hey Sam-Shouldn't those grates be 13.5 inches?

Looking forward to your build. I know I enjoy mine. Trying to figure out how to slip another SJ Silver and a tamale pot past Ma so my Mini can have a brother.

Hey Sam-Shouldn't those grates be 13.5 inches?

Looking forward to your build. I know I enjoy mine. Trying to figure out how to slip another SJ Silver and a tamale pot past Ma so my Mini can have a brother.
Alrighty then, first set back.....
icon_eek.gif

I was following BDSkelly's thread. I'll wait for the pot to arrive and then go from there Dutch. Thanks.

Sam-I just took another look at Brian's build. The charcoal grates for the 18" WSM is 13.5 inches. Measure your grates when you get them. No need to worry yet. . .

One thing on using the charcoal grates for the 18" wsm.  On the plus side, they're heavier gauge than the cooking grate for the smokey joe. On the minus side, they're uncoated, so it's not a bad idea to coat them with some oil and season them at 350˚+ for an hour or so. Mine started to rust after a few cooks, then I scrubbed and seasoned them and it took care of it.

You will love it.  I just did a 7 1/2 hour butt smoke and had a hour burn time left in 20 degrees windy weather outside.....averaged 290* plus on the cook..    Didn't use any kind of thermal mass in it only a reflectix sleeve around it for insulation.     These things can go a long time regardless of weather.     They can also cook low temps... like around 200-225* very easy.

Sam-I just took another look at Brian's build. The charcoal grates for the 18" WSM is 13.5 inches. Measure your grates when you get them. No need to worry yet. . .
Roger that... What Dutch said.  By the way. The Weber part number is in the photo for easy ordering! 
smile.gif
  Keep building Sam. We won't let ya mess up. 

Brian

Last edited:
Ladies and Gentlemen......may I present to you....The Mini!

Big thanks to Case (dirtsailor2003), Adam (c_farmer), Brian (BDSkelly), Dutch (Dutch)
biggrin.gif
and everyone else that posted here. Thanks guys!

Pic's can will tell the rest of the story.
bounce.gif

Ta..Daa!

What is the piece covering your vent? Looks like something out of the norm. I gotta build me one of these now, I already have the smoky joe. Gotta run to Walmart and pick up a pot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky