• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JSmoker27!

Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
Hello everyone! I am new member and wanted to ask a few simple questions to see if anyone could help me out. (1) I purchased a cheaper smoker (Masterbuilt MCS 10B bullet smoker) and I seem to be having issues with the air flow due to the fact that the door just doesn't get the best air flow. I decided to raise a bit on bricks and concrete squares but still are having some issues. Any suggestions? (2) My first brisket I did wasn't bad but it was a tad smoky and a bit chewy. The reason is I had trouble keeping the heat up near 200 so I had to keep adding wood chips and charcoal. This of course caused an extensive amount of ash and debris underneath. I have read that it could be the stock thermometer that it comes with and I am not getting an accurate reading. What should I get and where should I place the new one on the smoker? Thanks in advance!!

Reactions: JLeonard
With air flow I haven't seen that problem. And the meat being chewy probably was because it wasn't cooked long enough. It should be probe tender at around 203 IT degrees.

welcome to smf, great place here with lot's of knowledge. first i'm not familiar with your style of smoker so i won't be any help there, most people here do their briskets at 250-275 and as steve said they won't be tender until internal temp of 200-205, as far as thermometers i have a couple from inkbird that i happy with. good luck!

Welcome! Like Jleonard said above you need to get you a good remote probe thermometer. The factory thermometers are usually way off. With a dual probe you can use one for meat and one for monitoring the smoker temp. Inkbirdbbq Inkbirdbbq has some amazon prime day deals going right now. And like they said above the brisket probably wasn't up to the 200+ temp. Good luck!

Thanks everyone. I just put an Inkbird 4 probe thermometer into my Amazon cart. I think this may be just the think I need. Appreciate the help.

You might want to Google search 'Masterbuilt bullet smoker modifications' and see what others have come up with to improve the design. A lot of factory thermometers are either in the wrong place or not accurate. You want to know what the cooking temp at the grate is. The cheapest route is to buy an oven thermometer, the one that sits on the rack. Rub some oil on the glass dial to make cleaning the smoke off easier.

Welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place for help! Hope you find a solution to your issues.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky