• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gdun89

Original poster
Sep 5, 2020
Hi Everyone!

Kinda new to BBQ and Smoking, but had some great results so far with doing both on a Weber Kettle. I've decided it's time to up my game and build a UDS, but I'm incredibly indecisive and struggling to find the answers to the questions I have.
I've managed to track down a food grade steel drum, with removable top, 45gal, 205L. 24" diameter. The supplier says it was used for transporting Jam and so the inside of the barrel has been lacquered, is that a good thing? Does the Lacquer have to be burnt or sanded out?

Cheers folks!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200905-141403.png
    Screenshot_20200905-141403.png
    86.7 KB · Views: 8
Everyone has a opinion, burning , sanding or sand blasting.
I burnt mine ( i don't think i'll do that again, I would sand blast my next one)
then oil it with veg oil or pam, when your done season it well .
Rob

Welcome to SMF!
I’m no builder, but there are sure a lot of really talented builder on here.
They will all help you out with your UDS.
Al

Yep going to have to remove it. This will be the worst part of your entire build. To put it simply IT SUCKS!! Lol. I actually burned mine and then hit it with the sandblaster to clean off the nasty stuff that was left over. Might be worth getting a price from a local sandblasting place to do it for you. After you have a clean barrel its easy peasy!

Thanks for the replies.

I've been trying to avoid the burn-out with pallet wood route, I think our local laws in Scotland would prevent that, and probably the neighbors would have a lot to say. I've seen some plain steel, uncoated, unpainted barrels for sale so I'm going to have a look at those and get some shot-blast quotes too.

Reactions: udaman
Yep going to have to remove it. This will be the worst part of your entire build. To put it simply IT SUCKS!! Lol. I actually burned mine and then hit it with the sandblaster to clean off the nasty stuff that was left over. Might be worth getting a price from a local sandblasting place to do it for you. After you have a clean barrel its easy peasy!

I've seen a lot of barrels with removable tops held in place with a clamp/clasp, is that what I should be looking for?

I’ve built 5 uds’. The first one I burnt out. The last 4 I had sandblasted for the convince. Your call. I just didn’t feel like getting dirty on the last 4 😂
9F0C877E-633C-4FFD-8072-E6EF51709AF9.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky