New Member from California

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NorthernCaliSmoker

Original poster
Sep 30, 2020
Northern California
Hey everybody,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been using information off this forum for a bit now and decided I should join. Just in case I learn or find anything that'll help the next guy.

I don't have a super $$$ setup but it works for me. Vertical smoker that leaked like mad from the edges until I sealed it up with heat gasket tape. Vents that don't really seal well but they seem to work well enough. I usually smoke with Apple wood but I'm trying to branch out (horrible dad joke). My top smoked items so far are pork butt, ribs and pork belly for bacon. I've done a little chicken but haven't quite figured that one out to my liking yet.

Oh and I smoked a brisket flat horribly. Tough and dry was not what I was going for. But next time...

Welcome to the site, happy to have ya join the fun.

Chris

Welcome Nor Cal neighbor :) try a Costco USDA prime brisket next time, choice is ok but prime is the way to go for all beef.

Welcome from Old Hangtown, CA.
3-2-1 is right, the prime flat stays moist while the point finishes. At least in my experience.
-HS

I typically smoke the entire packer but if I separate the point and flat prior to smoking, I've always found the best results is to mop the flat over the hours and wrap it in foil depending. The point is forgiving cuz it's so fatty but I prefer to smoke the entire piece and then pull off the point for burnt ends.

If you're like me maybe you're your own worst critic? Here's the last Costco prime brisket I smoked. For whatever reason I got a wild boar hair in the rear and thought I would try and make a coffee based mopping sauce using Philz Jacobs Wondebar dark roast coffee, I mean the coffee is incredible so why not tinker with a mop.
Rubbed the big boy and let it rest in the fridge for 24 hours, brought to room temp before smoker! Fired up lol plugged in the vertical pellet smoker and filled the water pan and set the temp to 225. Smoked the thing for 24 hours with some mopping here and there before putting on a decent amount (the last of the mop) right before I headed for bed.
When I got up in the morning to add a little water to the tray I wasn't quite sure my eyes thought the brisket looked like it would taste any good. This was the first time like I said using a coffee based mop so I was not or had not seen one of my smoked brisket looking so IDK, burnt, dark, thickness gew kind of disgusting piece of meat. At the 24 hour which can be 22 to 26 hours, I use 24 hours liberally but this brisket was actually on for longer side of about 26 hours before pulling. No wrapping.
We were having a get together with some friends and I was so freaking nervous our friends would not like the brisket. Our friends are always telling me and the wife we should start a BBQ biz because we just crush it but we laugh but we know...we don't eat BBQ at restaurants often only because hard to beat home pit!
So our friends come over and they are like, holy smokes Paul, this is the best brisket ever and I'm like are yo sure, it doesn't look right. They're like what do you mean, try a piece! Incredible flavor, moist yet held together.
Moral of the story is don't give up on brisket, sure you'll screw up but you'll also learn from every smoke job like we all do or maybe the meat is great 👍
Oh and watch your step with meat in your hand, I once stumbled and 3 full racks of pork ribs hit the ground. You can't wash oak tree debris and dirk off, garbage time! Sad but shit happens.
Brisket to me is my favorite smoked meat, period! The meat is typically very forgiving to work with and so much fun and Tasty 😋 good luck and Smoke On!

Attachments

• IMG_2672.JPG
    IMG_2672.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2768.JPG
    IMG_2768.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2737.JPG
    IMG_2737.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2666.JPG
    IMG_2666.JPG
    281.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2668.JPG
    IMG_2668.JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 4
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky