New Member from Alvin, TX (Houston Metro Area)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lpsteinmetz

Original poster
Nov 28, 2015
Alvin, TX (Houston Metro Area)
Hello all!

I have been stopping here for several years now looking for BBQ information and finally decided that it was time to join. As a short introduction, I retired from active duty Coast Guard in 2008 (also 4 years Navy back in the '70s) after 34 years of service and currently work as a Coast Guard civilian employee in Houston, TX.

I am not a competitive BBQer (except backyard events against family and friends) but love to smoke all kinds of meat...butts being my favorite. I have had a Pitts and Spitts stick burner for almost 20 years and a Broil King Keg for about 2 years.

After more than a year researching the different smokers out there, earlier this week I placed an order with Humphrey's BBQ for a custom GF Tank I (Wide). I thought long and hard about ordering their GF Tank II (Wide) but just did not need that much room and it was around $1K more expensive. This is my Christmas, birthday and Father's Day gift for the next several years and I can't wait to receive it. It's too early to know yet when I will get it but I am guessing sometime in January now that we are in the holiday season.

Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving!

~Larry

Welcome to SMF and Thanks for your service !! 

Never heard nof the brnd of smoker that you ordered ,but i know there are some fine pit builders in texas.

Welcome to SMF and Thanks for your service !! 

Never heard nof the brnd of smoker that you ordered ,but i know there are some fine pit builders in texas.
Thanks!

My Pitts and Spitts comes from the Houston area and has been a great smoker. The Humphrey's comes all the way from Maine but anyone that has had one of their smokers seems to be very satisfied. I wasn't crazy about what shipping is going to cost but believe that this is a "Buy once, cry once" situation and will be worth it in the end.

texas.gif
  Good evening and welcome to the forum, from a rainy and chilly day here in East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything. 

Gary

You live in my old stomping grounds of Alvin, grew up there from 1970 til late 80's. I grew up in the rural southern part of Alvin, back in the sticks and rice fields.
Live out in Katy now, west Houston, good to have ya aboard

You live in my old stomping grounds of Alvin, grew up there from 1970 til late 80's. I grew up in the rural southern part of Alvin, back in the sticks and rice fields.
Live out in Katy now, west Houston, good to have ya aboard
How about that! We live just outside the city limits (east side) on CR 155 in the triangle formed by 35 bypass and Hwy 6. We owned property south of Alvin off 35 and close to Chocolate Bayou but sold it to buy our current property. I know quite a few people in the energy industry that live or work out your way.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky