New MB 800 After Preseasoning Leaving Particles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bsds71

Original poster
Apr 24, 2017
Hello! I finally got MB gravity feed 800 series. I followed instructions per manual and did the normal preseason, except I added wood chips to the ash tray per YouTube suggestion the last 30 minutes at 450.
After I finished there dust/dirt/wood particles left all over the inside of grill. Is this normal after Preseasoning and shouldn't happen again?
The MB unit itself arrived very beat up, I'm wondering if there is a malfunction somewhere due to the damage, which I was hoping was just cosmetic.
20220510_133802.jpg
20220510_133920.jpg

Not familiar with your smoker is the ash tray designed to burn wood chip or chunks I really dont know that's why I'm asking maybe that's the reason for excessive dust. I'm sure some more knowledgeable people will be around.

Reactions: bsds71
Yes, it says you can add wood chunks to the ash bin to release wood smoke once the lit coals fall. I'm thinking because I left for a little while the ashes blew the before I put the inserts back in?

What kind of charcoal are you using? That looks more to me like charcoal ash than anything, which can happen with the gravity smokers. Some charcoal does it more than others.

Reactions: bsds71
What kind of charcoal are you using? That looks more to me like charcoal ash than anything, which can happen with the gravity smokers. Some charcoal does it more than others.
It is Kingsford applewood briquettes. I think it's because I left and it was unattended for awhile after the seasoning was done. So all the charcoal burnt down and blew into the grill. When I did preseasoned the griddle I made sure to shut it down right after it was done and I didn't have that problem.

Reactions: mcokevin
I started with Kingsford Original which ashed a good bit, Kingsford Competition still ashes a fair amount. Trying some lump next.

Hello! I finally got MB gravity feed 800 series. I followed instructions per manual and did the normal preseason, except I added wood chips to the ash tray per YouTube suggestion the last 30 minutes at 450.
After I finished there dust/dirt/wood particles left all over the inside of grill. Is this normal after Preseasoning and shouldn't happen again?
The MB unit itself arrived very beat up, I'm wondering if there is a malfunction somewhere due to the damage, which I was hoping was just cosmetic.View attachment 631617View attachment 631618

What’s happening is complete normal. You need to get into a habit of using a shop-vac after every use of your gravity smoker. Throughly shop-vac the ash bin area, and the outlet that leads to the cooking chamber from the charcoal hopper after every use.. These smokers, like pellet grills are not self cleaning. Charcoal briquettes produce a lot more ash then lump charcoal, but briquettes will give you a longer smoke/cook time. Good luck.

Mine did the same thing. You coat the inside with oil making it tacky. You then blow ashes all over it while seasoning and they stick. There's no way to eliminate the ash that blowing through it simply as a result of the designed air-flow. I'm much more concerned about rust than I am about ash sticking to surfaces.

LOL wrong, I don't shop vac mine EVER lol. I dump the bin maybe once every 6 months I blow some air in it. Not sure why you're having an issue I never seen that much particles inside in 3 years much less one use.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky