New " Jersey " group

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi guys, new to smoking and glad to be part of the Jersey group. Trying to bring the smoke to Hoboken. 

Do you guys have difficulty smoking in cold weather? I use a horizontal offset, got a fairly cheap OK Joe Highland and made a few mods - gasket for smoke chamber, gasket for firebox, latches for smoke chamber lid, and fire basket.  Had trouble maintaining stable smoke temps this past weekend. Outside temps were in the 45-55F range on Sat, i'm convinced the cold outside temps turned my smoker into a fuel hog. Looking forward to smoking in warmer May/June weather. 

J

Hi guys, new to smoking and glad to be part of the Jersey group. Trying to bring the smoke to Hoboken. 

Do you guys have difficulty smoking in cold weather? I use a horizontal offset, got a fairly cheap OK Joe Highland and made a few mods - gasket for smoke chamber, gasket for firebox, latches for smoke chamber lid, and fire basket.  Had trouble maintaining stable smoke temps this past weekend. Outside temps were in the 45-55F range on Sat, i'm convinced the cold outside temps turned my smoker into a fuel hog. Looking forward to smoking in warmer May/June weather. 

J
Yep...Get a Welder's Blanket and toss it over the smoker in cold weather. Welcome...JJ

Hi from Maplewood.

I've been on the forum (mostly lurking) for nearly 7 years, but I just now noticed this NJ group.

I've been grilling on a Weber kettle for about 35 years, and smoking in a cheap Home Depot offset for something over 10 years. Heading to the Kamado Joe Roadshow in Ocean tomorrow, and if I can possibly find a way to fit the thing into my Honda Element, I'll be bringing home a Big Joe. That oughta be fun. 

Hey fellow smokers!!!

Just joined this Jersey group, I am at exit 9. Use a weber 22" with a Slow N Sear to smoke butts, ribs and chickens (wings included). Always looking out for new ways to smoke and always willing to share any tips I have!!

Last edited:
Hello from Jackson. Thanks to lemans for telling me about this group. Hung over today. 15lbs of pork butts. Smoked buffalo wings six racks baby backs. Sausage and peppers. Microbrews. Tequila. Only downside I killed the brisket. Not in a good way

Put it on the vision kamado 9 pm hovering around 275. Little higher than I had wanted..
Adjusted...woke at 130 and it was down just below 200. Still not in tune with the vision (it's a beast, efficient as hell) so I opened top vent to level 2 thinking I'd be at 250 when I got up to check at 4. Nope. It was sizzling at close to 400. Ends were already at 220. Middle 185. Took it off but damage done. Didn't serve at party. Everything else was great though so I got over it

Well I put a contract on a house in PA. Two acres with an acre of grass only one neighbor. We could go crazy there but it is in North Western PA, about 6 hours west of NJ. Anybody interested... 
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
...JJ

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky