1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

New in NJ - Mike M.

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by mr_mike_m, May 16, 2018.

1. Greetings-
    My girlfriend bought me a WSM 18" (and a companion cook/smoke book) for Christmas. I'm a lucky guy! With the delay of spring here in the northeast, I didn't get a chance to use it until last month. My first smoke ever was baby back ribs - two racks for her mom's birthday. Turned out excellent. Next up some Turkey legs and pork tenderloins. Also excellent. This past weekend for Mothers Day - two 5 lb angus brisket flats. Though challenged by the cool rainy weather, these too came out great.

Looking towards my next cook. Probably chicken legs. I'm learning SO much from this site and thanks for the Smoking Basics eCourse! Hope to learn more and contribute my experiences as a total newb.

-Mike M.

kruizer likes this.
  2. Geebs

Geebs Smoking Fanatic

Welcome Mike! I enjoy my WSM a lot, sounds like you are too!

mr_mike_m likes this.
  3. kruizer

kruizer Smoking Fanatic

Welcome to SMF from Minnesota.

mr_mike_m likes this.
  4. kruizer

kruizer Smoking Fanatic

Welcome to SMF from Minnesota.

5. dcecil

dcecil Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Welcome from California, great site and lots of experienced smokers on here for us new guys to Learn from.

mr_mike_m likes this.
  6. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Mike welcome to SMF from another jersey guy
    Richie

mr_mike_m likes this.
  7. browneyesvictim

browneyesvictim Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Welcome! That WSM is so versatile. Great choice! Sounds like she is a keeper. (Your girlfriend too!)

mr_mike_m likes this.
  8. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Welcome to SMF!
    And congrats on the new smoker, that is a very popular smoker on here.
    So if you need any help, there are plenty of guys on here to give you some!
    Al

mr_mike_m likes this.
  9. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

Welcome to the show. Congratulations on the new smoker. Sounds like your hooked already.

Chris

10. Yup. the GF is a keeper. She bought me the smoker specifically to "make her brisket every once in a while and beer can chicken" lol.

11. browneyesvictim

browneyesvictim Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

A full packer brisket isn't going to fit in an 18" WSM. Now you know your angle for getting her to buy your next bigger smoker! Post some smoke pics! (Hopefully not of a black eye.)

12. Ahhh! That's good to know. Bought a couple of flats and did them both for Mother's day. Was going to look for packers at a couple of the better butcher shops in my area.
    First time brisket - two 4.5-5 lb flats
    Right before smoke
    [​IMG]
    Second one - no pics of the first since we devoured it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2018